Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

how long will i feel the pain of a uti after starting ciprofaloxcin?

how long will i feel the pain of a uti after starting ciprofaloxcin? I faced dehydration last month (sept 13 2013) and have since had pain from a uti and possible kidney stones. I have taken cipro for 1 week and i am still experiencing pains sown my urethra on the right side.
Hi--can you tell me more about the pain and was a urinalysis and culture the only study you had?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

its almost like the pain starts right behind the base of my penis, i would assume thats the area of my prostate and then travels the length of the righ side of my urethra. yes a urinalysis and a cture are the only two teststhat have been ordered.

OK Kasey--and is the pain now subsiding?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes the pain has dulled and is more appearant at night and early in the morning also after i urinate or ejaculate i experience some pain since i began the cipro but the same happened with the we are corresponding i having a bit more pain as i have both had sex with my girlfreind and urinated in the past hour. is there a possi ility of prostatitisor another more serious prostate issue?

OK Kasey. I think this is prostatitis and I think you need Septra DS twice daily for a full six weeks to eradicate it. Neither Cipro nor cephalexin would be my first choice and in the case of prostatitis it takes much longer than the usual 7 to 10 days of antibiotic treatment to eradicate the infection
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you doctor my only other question is when can I expect some relief from these uti symptoms? I have been missing work and going crazy feeling like I have to pee all the time. is there an anti inflammatory or something else that I can take to ease the pain and swelling?

It could take the Septra at lease three to five days to help with that. In the meantime you can take ibuprofen and phenazopyridine (Pyridium) over the counter for the pain and discomfort