Dr. Anil Kumar
Dr. Anil Kumar, General Physician
Experience:  M.D. with over 30 years of experience in practice.
4713694

I recently went on a business trip for a few days. I ate a

I recently went on a business trip for a few days. I ate a little bit differently than normal (ate some desserts, pasta, bread, etc) and drank more then usually (two nights worth). I now notice that my stomach is distended/bloated and looks bigger. I don't normally weigh myself so it's hard to see if I gained weight. Is it possible I actually gained weight, or could I just be bloated and/or inflammed?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil Kumar replied 1 year ago.

Bloating means a increase in diameter of the abdominal area and the patient feels a full and tight abdomen.

Gas and bloating is a sign that food is not being digested correctly by the body.

So as you describe you have a history of taking food differently outside your home.

So chances are that this is simply bloating associated with the diet.

Overeating is common cause of bloating and probably you may have overeating history while your buisness trip.

I do think that this is a temporary functional problem.

Simethicone is usually prescribed by doctors in such cases.

I hope this helps

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can I be bloated for a few days? I got back yesterday, and I am still bloated and distended.

Yes it is possible to feel distended and bloating for few days.

You can try to fast for a day and see if it helps.

In many cases fasting for a day helps to clear the toxins associated with undigested food.

Dr. Anil Kumar, General Physician
Experience: M.D. with over 30 years of experience in practice.