Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

can a small liver lesion 1.6X1.7X2.5 cm cause pain? Lobe six?

can a small liver lesion 1.6X1.7X2.5 cm cause pain? Lobe six? Random ct scan showed this. They could not determine what it was. But my surgeon speculates it is a clump of fat.
Hi--sorry for the delay. No, that wouldn't be causing your pain and it sounds like a benign nodule or maybe a cyst. But tell me more about what's going on please
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

?

Tony--I asked about your pain. Have you had any other studies to find the cause?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had a lump in my lower pelvic area by love handle. My gp referred me to a surgeon who felt it and said this is a lipoma but lets do ct scan of pelvic area and abdomen. Results came back and in deed it was a lipoma. But he also stated they found a lesion / shadow as I described to you. Also fatty liver. And the radiologist recommended re scanning in six months. Well be tween now and then I have had a pain in upper right abdomen that sometimes radiates to back. Went back to surgeon and he said that it was not the lesion but maybe gallbladder pain. I also need to say that you can not reproduce the pain anywhere. He called for ultrasound and checked gallbladder, liver, kidney. Everything came back normal. The lesion showed on ultrasound with no changes, but still could not determine what it was. This had been three months from original scan. I have also had complete blood panels done all came back normal. Normal liver enzymes. This radiologist recommended follow up with mri. My surgeon said this radiologist did not see original ct and said that was not necessary and we would do another ultrasound in six months. Pain persisted. Followed up with chest ct no contrast, and blood work for embolism. All negative. As a result I have had bouts or insomnia and health anxiety. We are at a loss of what this could be?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I keep putting in my responce but it does not show up.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have also had a hida scan with came back at 34%

Got it that time. Does the pain seem to wrap around your abdomen from the front to the back or does it shoot straight through to the back?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Wraps arround.

OK Tony. Your gall bladder ejection fraction is on the low normal side but I don't think this is a gall bladder problem. It sounds to me as though you either have a compressed intercostal nerve where a rib meets the spine, or you have a thoracic spine disk problem that radiates the pain in the manner you describe from compressing a nerve root. I'd get an MRI of the thoracic spine with contrast to check on those and then I'd refer you to a physiatrist--a physical medicine and rehabilitation MD specialist--for a customized treatment program that should resolve your pain.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am current seeing the doctor you mentioned. He has me on gabbapantin and cortical steroids. And I am also I physical therapy. I just can get over the lesion and the fact that at almost the same time I start to have this pain never having it before. So I ahold not be worying about the liver?

Tony, the lesion is certainly benign and don't worry about it. It is also way too small to be causing any pain.Let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have one last question for you. I told you wrong the original lesion was 1.8 cm on ct. I got an mri two days ago and on mri it is 2.1. It has been six months. The radiologist does not seemed concerned. He says he can't confirm but thinks I'd focal hyperplasia. Should I be concerned with the change or are these inconsistencies normal range?
Tony--that's a completely benign lesion and that much growth in six months isn't unexpected. You really don't need to worry about this