Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

I was told during a stool curture as part of my physical,

I was told during a stool curture as part of my physical, that they found a parasite called endolimax nana in my stool. I have not had symptoms, so I was unaware. can you tell me about this
Hi--this is one of the so-called nonpathogenic intestinal protozoa that are very commonly found on routine stool evaluations. It causes no diseases and is entirely harmless so you don't need to worry about this
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

should i treat for it? like a medication?

No--like I said it doesn't cause a disease or an infection. It's like the normal bacterial flora found in the colon and there's no need to treat it Jeannie
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

just a bit confused, this is a parasite correct. are you saying it is o.k. to have parasites in our bodies like this one and it is ok?

Well, not really a parasite like a tapeworm or a hookworm. There is absolutely no problem with your having this in your stool and it doesn't need to be eradicated. Here's a CDC link about it