Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

How can I alleviate facial swelling brought on by alcohol consumption?

How can I alleviate facial swelling brought on by alcohol consumption? My liver levels are fine, but if I have had alcohol, the next morning my face is very puffy.
Hi--this only happens after you drink any amount of alcohol? Is it just swelling or is there redness, too?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, it happens if I've had alcohol just about every time. It's just swelling, no redness.

And how long does it last, Sara? How long has this been going on? Does it make any difference with what exactly you drink?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It takes several days to dissipate, as long as I haven't had alcohol on those days. It's been happening for probably 10 years. It takes some time to sort of "build up." Several days of alcohol consumption in a row and I start to see the swelling. It doesn't matter what form of alcohol. As of late, it's been wine.

OK Sara--does a doctor know about this reaction?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No.

Sorry for the delay Sara. It would seem you basically have developed an allergy to the alcohol. You can try taking either a Zyrtec or a Claritin before you drink and then on a daily basis for two more days to see if that helps, but if it doesn't, I'm afraid there is no way short of not drinking to resolve this. You could see an allergist for possible desensitizing injections if you'd like which may be effective
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks so much. I will try the Zyrtec or Claritin, and if that doesn't help, then I will see an allergist. Never thought of it as a possible allergy. Thanks very much!

My pleasure--any time