Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience

I have had several tests done as part of my yearly physical.

I have had several tests done as part of my yearly physical. My stool samples came back excellent accept for a parasite called amoeba. can you tell me about this, if it is treatable, dangers of treatment, or danger of non-treatment. also, would a colon cleanse help in this case? or is their a vitamin or certain food that would kill off the parasite. I am a very healthy person, had no idea about the parisite. your professional opinion will be greatly appreciated

Thank you for your question,

I’m Dr. Saha and I’ll try to help you.

Did they write only amoeba or is there any other word with it?

Do you have any symptom?

How is your stool?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

beside the name amoeba it says(injested something contamnated with fecal matter) do not know how that happined.

Thank you for the information.

Not all amebas in the stool are harmful.

Some may remain as normal flora of intestine.

Some may cause infection.

One common cause is Entamoeba histolytica.

This is treatable.

Different drugs are used to treat it.

Metronidazole, paromomycin, diloxanide are usually used.

Colon cleanse, vitamin, cereals would not be helpful.

I hope this information helps.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know

If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as good or excellent. If you want to click poor or bad service, please stop & feel free to reply & ask till you are satisfied.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification. I hope to work with you again soon!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what is Entamoeba histolytica. I'm confused by the statement by the health professional that it is caused from fecal matter. I did not know that we have this parasite as normal flora.

Different species of amoeba are present.

Amoeba gets entry through oral route & contaminated food is the common source of infection.

You may not be aware of it. Sometimes other species are confused with Entamoeba.

You can read this good link on Entamoeba histolytica.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

you have been very informative. is there a way I would know what form of amoeba I have and if they are causing problems? also the medications you mentioned. are they toxins? or antibiotics. sounds like if it were entamoeba histolytica, they are passed out of the body upon elimination. this was not mentioned in the report. just that they found amoeba. so now how do I find out if the amoeba is a good guy or a problem. thanks again for your insight.

You need to talk with your primary doctor.

After seeing the report, he can make sure which type of amoeba it is.

As you know all medicines may have side effects, but everybody would not have those.

These medicines are not toxins.

But metronidazole is frequently used & well tolerated.

It is also used for other infections.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX beenvery helpful. good information. and very timely.

You are always welcome.

Best wishes.