Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Im still very scared i have cancer. Even after multiple tests

Im still very scared i have cancer. Even after multiple tests and a CT scan, things just arent making sense. My symptoms remain to be quiseyness in the morning when i wake up for about 25 mins then it goes away and feeling full while eating meals.
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Anthony Bray, MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray, MD :

Your symptoms sound that perhaps some irritation of the stomach could be related to symptoms. This could be some degree of gastritis or possibly ulcer disease...

Anthony Bray, MD :

Cancer at your age is very unusual and would seem exceedingly unlikley!!

Anthony Bray, MD :

Do you have a family histoty of cancer? Is there some reason behind this fear??

Customer:

I did have a ct scan done on my abdomen last saturday ( 10 days ago) and it came back normal

Customer:

i do alot of reading on the internet about symptoms

Customer:

involving pancreatic cancer

Anthony Bray, MD :

Well that would tend to be reassuring that you do not have cancer...

Customer:

and im afraid they missed something on the test

Anthony Bray, MD :

This would be very rare indeed for there to be pancreatic ccancer at your age!!

Customer:

i know that too

Customer:

im just thinking something is wrong

Anthony Bray, MD :

Well common things being common, I would much more expect that gastritis or ulcer might be culprit to make you feel full early and some nausea...

Customer:

the problem there is that i had a colon and endoscopy done in march

Customer:

came back normal

Anthony Bray, MD :

I would try Prilosec or Prevacid for several weeks along with avoiding GI irritants... avoid coffee, alcohol, anti-inflammatory meds such as Ibuprofen or Aspirin or Aleve, avoid hot spicy foods, citrus fruits, tomatoes, onions , peppers....

Anthony Bray, MD :

So you had an upper endoscopy and this was normal?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

ive had alot of testing done

Anthony Bray, MD :

How long have you been feeling the nausea?

Customer:

ive also lost 15 pounds since the start of june

Customer:

now, in that time frame, i pretty much cut out all carbs

Anthony Bray, MD :

What is your current height and weight??

Customer:

i used to live off fried foods, but i started eating grilled foods with no bread

Anthony Bray, MD :

OK the reeduced carbs would make sense with weight loss.. have you been trying to lose weight?

Customer:

the only bread i would eat would be the occasionaly hot dog bun....i also still ate fries. but pretty much cut out all carbs and gluten products

Customer:

no. i just cut carbs out of my diet about 90 percent

Customer:

i use to eat chicken nuggets, fried chicken, pizza etc all the time

Anthony Bray, MD :

I see.. the change in diet would make sense then with your weight loss... it sounds that you are trying to have a healthier lifestyle...

Customer:

but im still eating some stuff that is fried and has carbs in it

Customer:

how can you lose that much weight?

Anthony Bray, MD :

But it sounds that you are eating quite a bit less of these foods... the healthier diet would make sense to explain the weight loss.. I don't think you are dealing with a pathological loss of weight here...

Customer:

well its that, coupled with this early fullness and minor nausea for the first 20 mins that im awake

Customer:

that really concerns me

Anthony Bray, MD :

You will probably just adjust to a new plateau of weight and stay near the new weight with time...

Customer:

my stomach growls alot and i know its hungry, i just dont feel hungry cause im already thinking im going to feel full

Anthony Bray, MD :

It sounds from some of your symptoms that you may have developed an ulcer or some gastritis (diffuse irritation of the stomach lining) The meds to reduce the stomach acid may help you and tend to lessen these symptoms. I think that would be worth a try for you...

Anthony Bray, MD :

Early satiety is what the medical term is for that symptom of feeling full early on...

Anthony Bray, MD :

You could follow up with your primary care doctor or a gastroenterologist for these symptoms...

Anthony Bray, MD :

Are there foods that tend to make you feel worse that you have noticed??

Customer:

no

Anthony Bray, MD :

Acidic foods such as orange juice can be an irritant for example...

Customer:

i guess i just want to stop worrying

Customer:

even though my CT scan came back normal

Customer:

i still fear cancer

Anthony Bray, MD :

Milk on the other hand may be a buffer of acid and if ulcer disease this would tend to help...

Anthony Bray, MD :

I re3ally do not think that you need to worry about cancer at your age!!

Customer:

the CT scan coming back normal means there is no cancer right?

Anthony Bray, MD :

I think that your fear is geeting ahead of logic in regard to this cancer fear...

Anthony Bray, MD :

There is no cancer...

Customer:

i guess my concern is that if i continue worrying, i could make myself even more ill. ive read that could happen

Anthony Bray, MD :

With you having had both the CT scan and the recent endoscopy procedures you have been thoroughly checked!!

Anthony Bray, MD :

Psychosomatic illness>> Yes...

Customer:

what does that mean?

Anthony Bray, MD :

Stress tells you that you are sick and you believe it... you can have certain symptom complex problems that are driven by anxiety of stress... headaches and abdominal discomfort would be common...

Anthony Bray, MD :

anxiety OR stress that was intended above...

Anthony Bray, MD :

IBS = irritible bowel syndrome is driven by anxiety/stress...

Customer:

i knew that was

Anthony Bray, MD :

This may cause abdominal pains, cramping, episodes of diarrhea...

Anthony Bray, MD :

Stress can also increase the production of gastric acid by the stomach... associated with increased risk of ulcers...

Customer:

so

Customer:

even though i am experienceing these problems

Customer:

if it was from pancreactic cancer

Customer:

my CT scan would have shown it?

Customer:

there is no other test thats better?

Anthony Bray, MD :

You may have benefit from something for nausea... Benedryl 25 to 50 mg may help reduce nausea... Phenergan or Zofran might be prescribed ....

Anthony Bray, MD :

With testing the pancreas if you have normal enzyme levels (amylase and lipase)and normal CT scan which shows no mass then you are good to go from ta pancreas standpoint!!

Anthony Bray, MD :

Yes if you had cancer of the pancreas then a CT scan would show that...

Anthony Bray, MD :

I hope this is helpful for you!

Anthony Bray, MD :

Let me know if you have further questions!

Customer:

thank you doctor

Anthony Bray, MD :

I willbe happy to get back with you!

Customer:

i apperciate your help

Anthony Bray, MD :

You are very welcome!

Anthony Bray, MD :

If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. That would be much appreciated! Thank You and Best regards,

Anthony Bray, MD :

Anthony Bray MD

Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice