A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist

Im going in tomorrow for a colonoscopy. Ive taken .75mg X

I'm going in tomorrow for a colonoscopy. I've taken .75mg X 4/day of xanax, equalling a total of 3mg/day as a treatment for panic/anxiety. Should I continue my regimen tomorrow?
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 10 months ago.

Answers provided are for informational use only and don't confer patient-provider relationship. My name isXXXXX and I will do whatever I can to help you.

If that is your regularly prescribed dose for panic/anxiety, then you should continue the morning dose tomorrow. Be sure to tell the nurse anesthetist about your prescription so she knows what to expect.

Kind regards,

Schuyler
~
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I was told by a staff member at my physician's office that I shouldn't take it, as it could interfere with the test due to obscuring the camera. I've never heard of such a thing. I filled out a medical questionnaire indicating the medication that I'm currently taking, but never heard anything back.

That is the most amazing sputter of misinformation I've heard in a while.

Required medications including those for hypertension (and anxiety/panic) are allowed with a sip of water. They won't "obscure the camera." Just be sure to tell whoever is administering the sedative that you've had your morning dose. It won't interfere with the action of the sedative, or the colonoscopy itself, but it may mean that you will be drowsier afterward. I'm sure they told you to have someone to drive you home since you will be drowsy for several hours afterward.

Good luck with your colonoscopy. They sound a whole lot worse than they are. Actually the bowel prep is the worst part and the colonoscopy itself is a piece of cake.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your input. I'm in the midst of prepping now (no results yet). I was a little dismayed at the answer that I received, as I took my daily dose at the prescribed times when I had my gallbladder removed. No problems afterwards and I was alert right after coming out of anesthesia.

Glad I could be of help! While it's best to skip the unnecessary meds/supplements - vitamins, iron pills, statins, etc., necessary meds are another story altogether. Not taking the anxiolytic could be the difference between going calmly to get your colonoscopy and having a panic attack and missing it. A little common sense is a great thing to have :-)

Good luck!

Schuyler
~
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience: Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist