Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

What is the single most targeted exercise for strengthening

What is the single most targeted exercise for strengthening the muscles needed for erect posture that I can do daily for about 30 minutes?

mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

mysticdoc :

Hi there,

I am Mysticdoc, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to help you with your concerns.

mysticdoc :

There are several good exercises for erect posture or posture improvement.

mysticdoc :

Waxing is one such good exercise.

mysticdoc :

I can post a link here for waxing and some other exercises--easy to perform at home.

mysticdoc :

This is the link:

mysticdoc :

Best wishes,

Customer:

I have done most of these exercises without much result. Is there a downside to doing, for example, Theraband Rows 100 times instead of 15 times as described in the UCSA website?

mysticdoc :

There is no downside.

mysticdoc :

The number of times is for guidance only.

mysticdoc :

If you are comfortable doing that, no problem with that.

mysticdoc :

You need to see a physical therapist if you are not benefitting from home exercises.

Hi--I'm a different expert. May I ask what exercises your physical therapist had given you and have you had your spine recently evaluated with an MRI?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The exercises are very similar to the ones described on the UCLA website: Waxing, Theraband rows, scapular exercises, etc. I am also going to a gym, typically 3 times a week, associated with the physical therapy dep't and using several machines the therapist has recommended.

I work full time with not a lot of time to spare. As I mentioned above, I would like to find the one or two exercises most specifically targeted to the posture muscles that I can concentrate on for 30 minutes or so a day in addition to my visits to the gym.

About a month ago I had my annual checkup with the spine doctor's office, including new Xrays. He said that everything looked fine but with the normal changes associated with aging.

Well, the reason I asked is because there's obviously a problem here that needs further workup with an MRI since you may have a spinal stenosis problem. The most targeted exercises to strengthen and support the back are abdominal crunches but before any of us here on this site could tell you to do any kind of physical therapy on your own we are obligated to tell you to check it out with your doctor first.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice