911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician

I had a cataract surgery 6 yrs ago, and since then, people

I had a cataract surgery 6 yrs ago, and since then, people are always commenting to me that I either have something in my eye, or stare at my eye like there's something weird going on, and they will ask me, whats wrong with my eye. Does this happen usually to people with cataract lenses? I have never noticed it in any one. I was 36 when I had the surgery and lens put in. Could that be the reason?
Category: Health
Expert:  911Doctor replied 9 months ago.

911Doctor :

Great question, and yes, it is common for people, after cataract surgery, to have an abnormal look to their eyes.

911Doctor :

this is simply light reflecting from the implant used to fill the space that the cataract used to fill

911Doctor :

it is quite normal and very easy to see on physical exam

911Doctor :

it does not mean that there was something done wrong with your surgery

911Doctor :

when I look in patient's eyes who have had cataract surgery I can easily see this 'twinkle' or refleciton

911Doctor :

'reflection'

911Doctor :

often I do not know beforehand that they have had the surgery

911Doctor :

but on exam I tell them they have had eye surgery

911Doctor :

and they say 'yes'

911Doctor :

so this is nothing to be concerned with

911Doctor :

and it is because of the implant

911Doctor :

standing by

Customer:

Yes but mine is noticeable in every light. It looks weird, and I am always being told " oh you have something in your eye" or your eye looks weird. I can never have that removed right?

Customer:

As I get older, it will become more noticeable because it will cloud up?

911Doctor :

no, you should not get it removed as every surgery has a risk and there is no guarantee that a second procedure would do anything different

911Doctor :

this should not get worse as you get older

911Doctor :

though sometimes cataracts do recur

911Doctor :

but ten years from your surgery there should be no issue

911Doctor :

have you talked to your eye surgeon about this?

911Doctor :

standing by

911Doctor :

correction....

911Doctor :

your cataract will not recur, but people can experience a clouding of vision with the implant. if this occurs it is fixed with a simple laser procedure, and since you are ten years out from your procedure this is very unlikely indeed.

911Doctor :

standing by

Customer:

I have had my eye "blasted" with a laser due to scar tissue like a "ball of yarn" that developed afterwards. I am just asking because yes Drs. can notice it, but I'm saying people without Drs. education or tools can see it from sitting at a table across from me. My parents both had the same thing done, many people have, I don't notice it in their eyes! I look like the terminator

911Doctor :

the condition is more noticeable in some. if this is bothersome to you i would not hesitate to contact your surgeon.

911Doctor :

a cosmetic contact lens might be a consideration since this bothers you so much.

911Doctor :

standing by

Customer:

And since I have MS it is my left eye, the eye with recurring Optic Neuritis, It is bothersome. I have gone back so many times, and my Neuro opthamologist, Located in NY finds it strange. So I just came on here to see another thought on it. I appreciate your opinion, and I know really that I cannot have it removed, my Dr said I cannot ever have another cataracr surgery, and now I am developing a cataract in my right eye, so I will really think about surgery again. Or both my eyes will match maybe I will luck out. Thank you Dr. for your time.

911Doctor :

you are most welcome

911Doctor :

do you have any final questions for me?

Customer:

Yes maybe the contact lens would work, I already have prism glasses.

911Doctor :

wow, I'm sorry you have so many things to deal with.

Customer:

Not today, but I greatly appreciate your opinion. Have a great day!

911Doctor :

and you as well

911Doctor :

Thank you so much for your question. It was a pleasure talking with you. Should you need my assistance in the future simply start your question with ‘for 911doc only’.

Positive feedback is always appreciated.

Be Well

911Doc

911Doctor, Doctor
Experience: Board Certified Emergency Physician