Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

Advanced Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Tonsil my father

Advanced Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Tonsil
my father just got diagnosed. what is the life expectancy with this disease? he is 82 years old with many other health problems such has diabetes, hypertension, skin cancer, heart condition, edma sometimes pitting to his bilateral lower exremites, he has a pacemaker.

Hello May,
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for quite long.

What are the neck lymph nodes involved with the advanced carcinoma of thyroid?
Has the cancer spread to other organs like lung?
What are his present symptoms?

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

They don't know if it has spread yet. They just told him the results of the biopsy today. He has to to a Pet scan and receive radiation therapy.

His symptoms: difficulty swallowing, voice change, feels that there is something in his neck that is bothering him. He cough a lot. But no pain

He does have a history of skin cancer but that has been under control form many years. every time a new growth shows up on his skin, they immediately remove it. He probably has removed more then 12 growths over the years

Hello May,

Let me at the outset tell you that individual variations occur in the prediction of the life span in cancer diseases. This is dependent on the;

1) Age
2) Other concomitant diseases
3) Spread, stage and grade (there are various grades even in the tonsil cancer called as poorly differentiated, moderately differentiated and well differentiated; poorly differentiated has the worst prognosis).

The PET scan will tell about the spread of the cancer. The usual life span of advanced tonsil cancer in his age group with the concomitant illness would be around 2 years. Having said that; again to re-emphasize, there can be wide variations as some individuals may respond well to the radiation therapy (and chemotherapy if used) while some may not at all.

In an individual exact spread and histopathological grading would be the biggest factors to predict the life span.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.