Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

I have a question about prep for a colonoscopy.

Hi--what's your question?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I took two Ducolax (5 mg.) and 4:00 est and started drinking my prep solution at 5:00. It is now 7:00, and I have not started to have loose bowel movements. Is that normal? I noticed at 6:00 that the Ducolax I took was very out dated, so I took one more that was from a new box.

What exactly is your prep solution?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

PEG-3350, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Bicarbonate and Potassium Chloride for Oral Solution

Were you told to start the PEG this late in the day? When is your colonoscopy?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was told to start at 5pm. Which I did. My colonoscopy is at 11 a.m. tomorrow.

Well, usually the prep should be started in the morning because once it takes effect you may be running to the bathroom for many hours. Two points here--it's much too soon for the Ducolax to take effect even if it were outdated, and it may still take another hour or so for the PEG to start working. The PEG is extremely effective so I'm sure you'll get the proper cleansing, but, Donna, you may be up most of the night running to the bathroom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. The last time I had a colonoscopy, I followed the same regimine, and I was running clear liquid bowels all through the evening but wasn't up through the night. I'll just hope it is all effective, so I don't have to re-do it another day.

Oh--I promise you you can't keep it from working.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Even if the Ducolax was really old?

The Dulcolax is really just the icing on the cake and quite frankly the PEG prep is really all you need to clean out the colon
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok. I'll quit worrying about it and just wait for the action to start. Thanks again!

My pleasure Donna--any time but please remember to rate my service to you