Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery

Is cholesterol of 5.57 mmol/l a concern? My cholesterol has

Is cholesterol of 5.57 mmol/l a concern? My cholesterol has always been in the 3ish range but now has gone up. 3 months ago was 6 without fasting. This time fasting was 5.57. It said normal range should be 2 to 5.2mmol/l
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 7 months ago.

Dr. Hasan :

HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today. I will be happy to help you with your follow-up questions also. I need few details.

Dr. Hasan :

What are your LDL and HDL levels?

Customer: LDL 3.34mmol/l
Customer: Hdl 1.67mmol/l
Dr. Hasan :

range?

Dr. Hasan :

range for both please

Customer: LDL normal range 1.5 to 3.4
Customer: Hdl >1.19
Dr. Hasan :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX have any diagnosed medical problem?

Customer: No
Dr. Hasan :

That's great.

Dr. Hasan :

Thanks a lot for your input.

Dr. Hasan :

Your cholesterol is borderline high.

Dr. Hasan :

Your LDL is just at the upper limit.

Dr. Hasan :

LAD as you know is the bad cholesterol and HDL is the good one.

Customer: Any idea what can potentially cause it to become high?
Dr. Hasan :

This much high cholesterol just indicate that you have a tendency to get high cholesterol but you an manage all this by just diet and exercise.

Dr. Hasan :

Most likely it can be lack of exercise, your life style or your food.

Dr. Hasan :

What is your routine diet by the way?

Customer: Can too tired be a cause?
Dr. Hasan :

No that can't be related.

Dr. Hasan :

Have you got your Hemoglobin and thyroid hormone levels checked?

Customer: 3 meals a day. Lunch might be sandwich or noodles. Dinner is rice with some meat and veggies. I don't eat a lot
Customer: Yes. Those are normail
Dr. Hasan :

and exercise?

Customer: Don't really actually go exercise but I do chores and take care of a baby
Dr. Hasan :

LOL, i know taking care of baby is a real exercise.

Dr. Hasan :

But now you should consider doing exercise daily like some brisk walk for fifteen minutes .

Dr. Hasan :

Moreover avoid meat.

Customer: I had my dentures redone and there was a month where I ate quite a bit of ice cream. Will that boost up the cholesterol?
Dr. Hasan :

Try to eat whole grains.

Dr. Hasan :

Yes it can.

Dr. Hasan :

It contains high fat content and can be responsible.

Customer: Roughly 4 months ago ice cream was like my meal replacement for a month
Dr. Hasan :

But you need to get your levels rechecked in 6 months.

Dr. Hasan :

Yes it can cause this but try to avoid now.

Customer: But now I've stopped and it didnt seem to make any changes
Dr. Hasan :

It's easy to gain but difficult to loose.

Dr. Hasan :

So you have to put effort actually.

Customer: Now being high. What can of damage can be done to my body or is indicative of any medical issue
Dr. Hasan :

If keeps on going high it can affect your heart and can put you at risk of getting stroke.

Dr. Hasan :

but at this stage it is not going to do any damage because you are at low risk.

Dr. Hasan :

Specially not having any diagnosed medical problem reduces your risk.

Dr. Hasan :

These levels are just a warning to be cautious but otherwise not going to do any damage.

Dr. Hasan :

Any question in your mind?

Customer: So exercise. Eat regularly with more veggies whole grain and less meat?
Customer: try to avoid ice cream and desserts?
Dr. Hasan :

Absolutely yes

Dr. Hasan :

and no stress :)

Customer: streas play a part too
Customer: ?
Dr. Hasan :

No not to increase your levels.

Dr. Hasan :

But i wanted to say that at these levels you need to be stressed.

Dr. Hasan :

just do some life style changes and your next levels will come perfect and i wish you all the best for that.

Customer: Dont need to be stressed u mean?
Dr. Hasan :

But i wanted to say that at these levels you need not to be stressed.

Dr. Hasan :

:)

Dr. Hasan :

Sorry

Customer: Thanks for your help!
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
I wanted to add that You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always, any day & any time. Regards