Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I had 3 hours ago and since then I have

I had vaginal intercourse 3 hours ago and since then I have been bleeding, sometimes heavily. My period is not to start for another 2 weeks. I wasn't sure if I should go to the ER or just wait it out. This has never happened before.

Hello Jan,
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

If the bleeding is too heavy (need to change the sanitary napkin / tampon) in less than 2 hours; it would warrant an evaluation at ER. Otherwise you can wait and seek a routine appointment with your gynecologist. There can be various causes for bleeding after intercourse;

1) Infections like chlamydia, vaginitis, cervicitis

2) Cervical dysplasia

3) Cervix cancer

4) Cervical polyps

5) Vaginal yeast infection

6) Endometriosis

7) Uterine polyps and fibroids

8) Injury during intercourse

A physical examination by a gynecologist and an ultrasound usually are able to determine the cause. Read the resource;

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.