Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

For the last month and a half I have been plagued with a great

Customer Question

For the last month and a half I have been plagued with a great deal of dyspepsia and indigestion, mixed with an elevated heartrate. At first I thought it was gastritis, but that was ruled out by a blood test, and since then my PCP has said that he's pretty sure that I have IBS. He suggested that I start taking daily doses of metamucil. While my digestive tract appears to have calmed down, the dyspepsia has suddenly come back tonight, and my heartrate (at about 120 at rest) has remained high after two weeks. Tonight my heartrate is particularly high to the point that I'm a little dizzy, and the dyspepsia won't stop.

Does this sound like anything, and should I be seeking immediate care?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.

Hello Dylan ,
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

Do you have sweating, pain in chest or arm, nausea, dizziness, palpitation?

Any significant past medical or surgical history?

Are you diabetic, have high blood pressure, are sedentary, stressed, over weight, smoker, drink alcohol regularly?

Is your cholesterol or lipid profile normal?
Any history of anxiety

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

At time when my heartrate is up, my feet and hands will sweat. No current pain in my chest, though sometimes I get some esophageal distress when I get particularly bloated. A little light-headed right now, but not shaking.

As far as I know I am not diabetic, though my blood pressure has been up along with the heartrate. Since I've come down with the digestive issues, I've been walking a mile every other day to help with my gut. I'm not overweight, but I do smoke about a half pack a day (for three years) and drink maybe once or twice a month.

Not sure about cholesterol or lipids.

And no history of anxiety, but my anxiety levels have run high lately since I've been experiencing all this.

Hello Dylan,

An heart rate is autonomic nervous system controlled parameter of the body. Though anxiety can increase the hart rate, but usually it does not go to the level of the 120 per minute. Since your blood pressure too is high; working on the cautionary side is recommended. Thus getting an evaluation at urgent care clinic or ER would be recommended. Your symptoms can be due to Hiatal hernia or severe gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD / Acid reflux), which can be diagnosed by upper gastrointestinal endoscopy (camera exam). Still as discussed, an EKG would be advised for your symptoms for the precaution, at this point of time to rule out any cardiac association.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks a ton doctor, you've been a great help. I'll get it checked out.

You are most welcome, Dylan.

It is privilege assisting you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello again Dr. Phophalia. On your advice I went to the ER the other night. In triage my heartrate was still high, but by the time I'd been brought back to the ER room itself my heartrate had calmed down, and the EKG showed nothing abnormal. Unfortunately this meant that they more or less thought I was just having an anxiety attack, though I managed to get a list of cardiologist referrals from them. The ER doctor also prescribed me with an anti-histamine to calm me down and make me sleep.

I slept for awhile and when I woke up, I went out to get breakfast. I had a fairly simple meal with hashbrowns, two eggs, two sausages, and a biscuit. Halfway through the meal the digestive discomfort I began experiencing was too much to finish. I actually got somewhat light-headed from the feeling, and stopped eating. As soon as we got home, I laid down and tried to take a nap for a few hours to let my stomach settle. When I woke up the symptoms had intensified, and for the last few hours I've had extreme dyspepsia and acid reflux. I'm once again considering going in to the ER, but am tired of being treated like it's nothing serious.
Currently I am experiencing a lot of stomach spasming, esophageal burning, and digestive discomfort.

Can you shine any light on what may be going on?

Hello Dylan,

Your present symptoms are more suggestive of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and Hiatal hernia. Going to ER is dependent on the severity of the symptoms. Lat time I suggested it because of your abnormal high heart rate. Presently if burning is too severe, you may go to ER or first take following;

1) Maalox (antacid)
2) Prilosec.

If the symptoms are persistent in severity or high pulse rate more than 110 occurs again, going to ER would be recommended.

Meanwhile you may get your complete cardiac evaaluation through the referrals you have obtained (in case you do not go to ER).