Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

After all the tests ive had, im still scared. Im 25, ive had

After all the tests ive had, im still scared. Im 25, ive had a colon and endoscopy in March along with blood work on everything. I had a CT scan last saturday and came back normal. All these tests have come back NORMAL. Im still terrified and think im dieing. Im worried i have pancreas cancer cause ive lost about 15 pounds over the last three months. In that time i did cut carbs out of my diet and went gluten free, but im still worried cancer could be causing that. I also have inconsistent stool color. Can anyone help?

Hello Mike,
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

Do you think that just anxiety and dietary modification can be responsible for the weight loss?
Are you reading too much about the pancreatic cancer?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I dont know what to think. Yes, i research pancreatic cancer all the time. Now im researching how reliable CT scans are cause im worried they missed something. I just want to go on with my life feeling confident i dont have cancer.

Hello Mike,

Was the CT scan done with the contrasts?
Was your stool exam normal?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

All i know is that i had to drink the stuff prior to and then during the exam they put this dye in me and it made me feel really warm inside. Ive never had a stool exam.

Thank you, Mike.

Yes this is exam with the oral and intravenous contrast. At present, CT is the most widely used and most sensitive test for an evaluation of the pancreas for pancreatic cancer. So it is ruled out in your case. I would not be worried just because of the weight loss which can be explained by your anxiety and dietary restriction. A pancreatic cancer causing weight loss would definitely have other symptoms like abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, bloating, indigestion, jaundice. Please do not worry.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do you have any suggestions as to what i could do to help myself? I dont want to worry anymore.

First firmly establish in your mind that it is not cancer. Doctors are always more worried than the patients for missing a diagnosis. Your doctors have worked up more than adequate to rule out anything serious. Secondly do not read about the pancreatic cancer or any other medical stuff. Lastly take an help of psychologist who can get rid of negative thinking.

From some of the things you have said, it seems very likely that you may be suffering from mixed anxiety and depression - depression is causing you to feel bad, and the other part is that your negative thinking about your life situation is just adding to that.

Both these things can be dealt with by a combination of proper medication and a course of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. It is a form of therapy that addresses problems in a direct and targeted way.

Please visit this website for much more detailed information on CBT:

There are good free CBT based self-help resources here: