Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

Hi Is it necessary to taper off prednisone if you are only

Hi Is it necessary to taper off prednisone if you are only on a dose of 10mg for 3 days Thank you
Hi--there's no need to taper after just 10mg per day for three days. You can just stop it. And, yes predisone is a powerful antiinflammatory
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I wanted to know if you need to taper prednisone if the dose was 20mg for 3 days ? Would 10 or 20 mg dose of prednisone for 3 days normally be long enough duration to stop the inflamation of sciatia or is longer dose schedule needed? When I see my physician Monday I would like to be able to ask intelligent questions Thank You
Any dose of prednisone, if taken for only three days, doesn't need to be tapered. Three days should be long enough to see the effect, but usually prednisone is given for ten days to two weeks with a taper