Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

My son went to the doctor and was told he has tonsillitis and

My son went to the doctor and was told he has tonsillitis and an ear infection. They put him on an antibiotic but ibprofin will not break his fever. It remains @ 102. I put him in the tub and it came down to 98.6 but when he got out of the tub he had chills and went right back up.
Hi--how old is your son and is he able to drink a lot of fluids. How long has he been on the antibiotics?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He is five. He has been on antibiotics since 10pm last night. He has been eating and drinking fine
OK--nothing really to worry about then. You can alternate the ibuprofen with children's Tylenol every four hours and have him drink as much fluid as possible. Fevers like this aren't really dangerous, just uncomfortable but he needs to keep up with the evaporative fluid loss. The antibiotics should kick in tomorrow and his fever should go down then