Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I have a black line on my tongue. I have seen my dentist recently

I have a black line on my tongue. I have seen my dentist recently when my teeth were cleaned and subsequently a week later when a crown fell out I saw another dentist, - both thought I had a chemical reaction to a possible drug.

My doctor who I have now seen twice, & following a heavy course of antibiotics - to no avail - is unsure as to the cause. She has photographed my tongue & is referring the photograph to a consultant.

I take Alendronic Acid once weekly - 70 mg.
Lisonpril 5 mg tabs daily
Simvastation 5 mg daily
Levothyroxine 100 mcg tabs 5 days a week (not weekends)

Doris White
Hi--any chance of posting that photo on this page?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, my doctor took the photograph on her phone.

Well can you take a photo and show it to me Doris?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry my phone is old & I don't know how to take a photo on my camera & email it.

No problem. How wide is this line?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The line is in the middle of my tongue, & there is pink right down the absolute centre. Now looking in a mirror I can see a space and two further lines , ie. one each side of the centre black line. Sorry but I have no idea of measurement, but the lines on the sides of my tongue were not there prior to eating I am almost certain.

OK--and no tongue soreness? The surface of your tongue looks normal except for the line?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Absolutely no soreness, tenderness or anything. However, the whole of my tongue doesn't look normal, its not hairy, its not all black but the remainder of the tongue doesn't look healthy pink like it should.

OK Doris. This sounds like either geographic tongue or black hairy tongue and except for smoking or gastric reflux disorder there may be no cause at all. While it isn't serious and may resolve in a little while more, you might ask for Nystatin mouthwash in case there's a yeast infection present.