Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

i feel very tight in my windpipe especially when i do excersize,

i feel very tight in my windpipe especially when i do excersize, i have asthma but i know this problem is not asthma this is only in my windpipe and throat my inhalers do nothing i take symbycort 200/6 and salbutamol, it's been like this for about a month now, sometimes it goes for a day then comes back for a week or 2. really fedup.
Any ideas what could cause this?

Hello Khalid,
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

Do you have cough, wheezing, heartburn, food reflux, change in voice, sore throat, shortness of breath, sinus problem?
Any significant past medical illness or surgery?
Do you take any other medications apart from which you mentioned?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no cough, no change in voice, i did have a bit of reflux but was temporary, no sore throat, when i do excersize i feel a bit sore in my throat due to heavy breathing

no other medication,

Thank you Khalid for the detailed reply.

This can be chronic laryngitis which can be allergic or infectious in origin. This may be caused by;

1) Environmental pollution
2) Smoking
3) Reflux disease (GERD / gastroesophageal reflux disease); which may be causative or concomitant condition.
4) Allergens
5) Asthma; which may be concomitant and is suppose to aggravate the issue.
6) Prescriptions or over-the-counter medications like diuretics, antihypertensives, psychotropic drugs, antihistamines, decongestants that may cause predisposition to or determine the onset of chronic laryngitis These agents may cause local drying and mucosal (internal lining of the larynx) injury.

Following is the treatment;

1) Avoid even second hand smoking.
2) Drink 2-3 liters of water per day. Hydration helps immensely in resolving the symptoms.
3) Avoidance of pollutant or irritative / toxic substances. Traveling on congested roads is many times associated.
4) Room Humidifiers
5) Steam inhalation
6) Identification and avoidance of environmental and occupational sensitizers.

Following measures are helpful, if a concomitant reflux laryngitis is associated:

1) Small 5-6 meals a day.

2) Last meal should be eaten 3 hours before lying down.

3) Avoid; fried or fatty foods, chocolate, peppermint, alcohol, coffee, carbonated beverages, citrus fruits or juices, tomato sauce, ketchup, mustard, vinegar.

4) Eat slowly so air is not swallowed.

5) Swallowing therapy by a speech-language pathologist.

6) Lose weight if obese or overweight.

7) Elevate the head of the bed by 6 inches.

8) Avoid tight clothing.

9) Stop smoking, if you do.

10) Antacids

11) Acid blockers

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

as you say i might have chronic laryngitis then how comes my voice is normal,

i don't have any issues with my voice just tightness in my windpipe that's difficult for me to breathe. Sometimes i can hear a little wheeze from my throat when i breathe in and out. It's worse in the mornings when i wake up.

Hello and welcome, Khalid,

Change in the voice in laryngitis is not a rule. Many patient may not have voice changes despite the mild to moderate laryngitis.

It is privilege assisting you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

are there any short term medications to take the inflammation down so that i can at least breathe easily until recovery.

The medications are;

1) Omeprazole
2) Esomeprazole
3) Lansoprezole.

You can take any one out of three.