Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

My doctor wants me to do B12 injections . I got my prescription

My doctor wants me to do B12 injections . I got my prescription from the pharmacy and wanted to make sure 1/2 inch needles are ok and where is the easiest place to give myself a injection at . I'm new to this . What is the best way to do shot? Thanks
Hi--any needle length is fine but usually the injections are done with needles the length of insulin needles. You only need to stick the needle no more than about 1/8th of an inch into your muscle and you can either give it to yourself in your upper outer arm, your buttocks, or your anterior thigh.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was curious about needle size because I was told by nurse they are usually. About 1 inch long so it can get to muscle.
Needs to get into the muscle but a 1/2 inch needle is fine--no problem if you want to use the entire length of the needle for the injection George