Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

I cut my foot yesterday very superficially, when nail scratched

I cut my foot yesterday very superficially, when nail scratched across my foot and peeled off a layer of skin. It didn't bleed much. It did hurt all day today stuffed in my shoe at the office. This evening when I took my shoe off, I saw a forked red line going away from the cut. One website I saw said to seek emergency medical care. I'm just wondering if that's really the case. The line is about two inches long right now. Prompt answer appreciated!
Hi--when was your last tetanus booster? How far had the redness spread from the cut?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

about two inches, tetanus a couple years ago

OK--this early on I don't think it's an emergency Gary but you are developing cellulitis--infection in the cut is spreading to the surrounding areas. I would suggest though that you have a doctor look at this tomorrow because you may need antibiotics. If you choose just to wait and see, cleanse it with betadine and apply Neosporin and a bandage, but if the redness continues to spread or you start getting a fever and feeling unwell, you need then to be seen right away