Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice

I have been suffering from prostatitis for about 3 years now.

I have been suffering from prostatitis for about 3 years now. I am on my third Urologist and all he does is prescribe antibiotics. Tomorrow will be my third visit to him and he has not ran any tests (PSA, Semen Culture, Blood) to date. The antibiotics are doing nothing for me!!! Is it possible for it to be a fungal infection versus a bacterial one? If so How can he accurately prescribe antibiotics without finding out what is causing the infection first?

Anthony Bray, MD : Hello!
Anthony Bray, MD : BTW, the expert you requested must not be available right now-- I will offer advise if that is OK... If you wish I can opt out... Just let me know ...
Anthony Bray, MD : I agree with you that you should have a culture of urine and semen and testing of the urethra for gonorrhea and chlamydia...
Anthony Bray, MD : The cultures would be expected to demonstrate what bacteria is present and what options may be helpful for treatment...
Anthony Bray, MD : It is common to treat a prostate infection for 30 days up to 6 weeks with follow up after that...
Anthony Bray, MD : The empiric treatment with Cipro and now Septra ( treatment based on type and location of infection but not culture)
Anthony Bray, MD : These antibiotics would be very typically prescribed...
Anthony Bray, MD : Again at this point with the treatment failure I agree that you should have cultures done.
Anthony Bray, MD : It would be worthwhile to ask your doctor about knowing that you have not developed an abscess of the prostate... An imaging study may be helpful in this regard...
Anthony Bray, MD : A fungal infection of the prostate would be very rare .... Conditions in which your immune system was compromised could be a reason for this to occur but if you have healthy immune system then it would be rare indeed...
Anthony Bray, MD : certain viral infection such as HSV2 may have some potential....
Anthony Bray, MD : If this persists beyond sux months then it would be more classified as chronic prostatitis... And 10 to 15% of such cases show no growth on cultures ( so no pathogen identified) this last stubborn scenario will hopefully not be the end result in your case...
Anthony Bray, MD : I hope that this information helps. I hope that this round of antibiotic helps to bring you to cure. I would advise that you make enough noise to get perhaps the most recent urologist or one of your doctors to obtain cultures to help identify the pathogen. I think this would be most important step for you at this time....'

I have had past problems with reoccurring yeast infwction from my wife and do think I hav

Anthony Bray, MD : I hope that this helps. Let me know if you have further questions. I will be happy to get back with you. Thank you and best regards,
Anthony Bray, MD : Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray, MD : Hello again... It is a reasonable thought... If you have had history of fungal infections then this would be possible... Still very uncommon ....
Anthony Bray, MD : you are right that it would be a possible explanation for treatment failure as neither Cipro nor Septra would help with fungal infection...
Anthony Bray, MD : The prostate once infected is a difficult area to treat due to the presence of fairly stagnant fluids and relatively poor blood supply...
Anthony Bray, MD : Let me know if you have further questions or points of discussion and I will be happy to get back with you!
Anthony Bray, MD : If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction them please remember to leave positive feedback . Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX!
Anthony Bray, MD : Anthony Bray MD