Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Hi, I am 60 year old female. I fainted at Ihop and ended up

Customer Question

Hi, I am 60 year old female. I fainted at Ihop and ended up in the hospital on a holter monitor. I am under alot of stress and went thru menopause at 58. CMC Report- 1. rhythm was sinus. sinus rate decreases were noted during scan. 2. rare SVPBs were noted. 3. rare VE was detected. 4. patient marker was used 3 times in association with sinus. 5. no diary was recieved
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Anthony Bray, MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray, MD :

Your report sounds unremarkable. The meaning of some of the phrases SVPB = supraventricular premature beat. We also refer to that as atrial ectopy. It is simply a premature beat that arises from electrical conduction within the atria. This are fairly common. They are most often not a [problem if these beats are isolated in nature and not converting to an independant rhythm that would be too fast. That would be SVT and if THAT were present could be a cause of a faint...

Anthony Bray, MD :

The sinus bradycardia is rate that is less than 60 (sinus decreases) This finding I think is very liely to correspond to the cause of your faint. The most common cause of fainting in general is called vaso-vagal syncope...

Anthony Bray, MD :

This is where you may experience some nausea as one posible trigger. Nausea among other stimuli may lead to a vagal nerve response that causes the heart rate to slow and the BP to drop and thus may cause a faint.

Anthony Bray, MD :

Vaso-vagal syncope is the most common cause of fainting.

Anthony Bray, MD :

The episodess of sinus rate decreases are consistent with this as being probable cause of you fainting...

Anthony Bray, MD :

Rare VE = Ventricular ectopy. This is also called a PVC. EVERYONE has a few per day and some people have more than others. If only a small number over 24 hours then this would be considered within normal limits. If you had a high number or runs of these of several to more beats (ventricular tachycardia) So less than about 50 > normal>> much greater than 50 suspicious as a potential connection to cause... if runs of beats that are greater than 4-5 at most the Ventricular tachycardia (nonsustain would be diagnosis. If ventricular tachycardia present then it would be different ball game with need to consult a cardiologist.

Anthony Bray, MD :

The conclusion did NOT identify any episodes of ventricular tachycardia which is good!

Anthony Bray, MD :

It did not give any indication of an AV block (an electrical circuit delay within the heart) This is also good news for you.

Anthony Bray, MD :

The lack of those findings means that you are most likely NOT looking at any need for anti-arrythmia medication or a need for a pacemaker...

Anthony Bray, MD :

SO your study would support vaso-vagal suncope as being most likley cause of faint.. Attention to observe blood pressure with orthostatic position changes woiuld be recommended for you.(Check BP laying down, >>sitting >> standing) and watch for any abnormal drop.

Anthony Bray, MD :

It also becomes of increased interest if you feel light headed at other times before or since this event??

Anthony Bray, MD :

Sense of light headedness may be indicator for risk of future similar fainting events.

Anthony Bray, MD :

I hope this informati0on helps!

Anthony Bray, MD :

Let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to get back with you!

Anthony Bray, MD :

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray, MD :

Anthony Bray MD

Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice