Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience
8227957

I eat fairly well and try to stay active but I am exhausted.

I eat fairly well and try to stay active but I am exhausted. This has been true since before my HCV diagnosis. My weight is 153 but I am more comfortable at 135. I gained this weight when I quit smoking 2 years ago but started again and haven't dropped the weight. What do I do about the weight and the fatigue. I am 55yo and 5'4"tall.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question,

I’m Dr. Saha and I’ll try to help you.

How is your diet? calorie intake?

Did you try any exercise?

Did you have any test recently?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't count calories but I try to consume lean protein 2-3 times a day and a couple of fruits and a couple of vegetables a day. My big weakness is a coke instead of coffee, in the morning but no more than 1/day.

I walk a good bit but I have to force myself to do this. I live on the 3rd floor of and old Victorian and use the stairs for additional exercise.

I forgot to mention that an adrenal study showed off the chart cortisol levels at night and bottomed out levels by day. My thyroid function is on the low side of normal but within normal range.

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
When did you have the thyroid & adrenal tests?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Last year. Thyroid tested again in June.

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the information.

Given your height, you are slightly overweight.

Common medical cause of weight gain is the thyroid disorder.

You have already been evaluated for those.

Exercise, strict diet control as you know are helpful to reduce weight.

Please increase intake of fruits, vegetables, water.

High protein diet is good but you should not take it more.

Reduce fatty food and excess carbohydrate.

Weight loss needs to be planned in consultation with a doctor.

Working out & healthy eating habits, further reduction of calorie intake can be required.

Usually a calorie intake of 1200 - 1500 is advised when you plan to lose weight with an aim to loose weight gradually & to maintain it.

An involvement of a dietitian would be good option in planning diet.

For taking an exercise program you need to slowly increase the duration & intensity.

Regular walking is good exercise to reduce the weight.

You need to go slowly & maintain it.

If you tolerate then you can increase the effort gradually.

Usually it is started with 30 min. a day.

If with diet control & this level of exercise, you are still gaining weight or not losing it, then you can increase to 60 min & gradually more.

I hope this information helps.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know.

If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as good or excellent. If you want to click poor or bad service, please stop & feel free to reply & ask till you are satisfied.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification. I hope to work with you again soon!

Regards
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 35 years of experience