Dr. Anil Kumar
Dr. Anil Kumar, General Physician
Experience:  M.D. with over 30 years of experience in practice.
4713694

I had edema due to liver inflammation, I have lost weight and

I had edema due to liver inflammation, I have lost weight and cut my alcohol consumption done drastically. I went from 205 lbs to now 173 for the last three weeks consistently. I am 5'7 and 30 years old. I lost the weight in 1.5 months which is very quick. I have been eating balanced, lots of fruits and veggies and exercising about 2-3 times a week. My energy level is much better but I now have pitting edema and any cuts I get do take longer to heal. Is this a sign of progress? My eyes are still moderately yellow but much better than they were. How long and what more can I do to get better? I am also taking iron, folic acid, vitamin k, milk thistle, and b-12 daily along with my regular dose of losartin which is 12.5 mg once a day.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil Kumar replied 11 months ago.
Can you please provide me your investigations reports?
What are the results of your liver function test?
What is your occupation?
Prolonged hours of sitting or standing in same position?
Pain abdomen?
Is it fatty liver?

Thanks.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I don't have a recent copy of of my labs.
Fatty liver yes
No pain in abdomen
Currently un employed 1 month, I just moved and have not found a job I stand and sit pretty balanced amount of time, if anything I am on my feet more. The pitting is more severe naturally later in the day.
Thanks for providing more information.
Sorry for late reply and inconvenience.
Firstly i appreciate your efforts to limit your alcohol intake and take good balanced diet.
As your describe,if you have alcoholic fatty liver disease then it can be reversible in next few weeks.
However main concern is pitting edema which can be associated with liver disease,poor venous insufficiency,thyroid dysfunction.
Even Losartan can result in edema however not so common.
You should elevate and exercise your legs.
Limit salt intake.
And in case your symptoms get worse over the time then visit ER.

I hope this helps.
If you have any further query then feel free to ask.
Positive feedback and bonus are highly appreciated.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I do sometimes end up with blood around my gums Iwhen I sleep it is rare and can't figure out if it is from my lip bleeding or if it is coming from somewhere else. By lip bleeding I mean. I have had a sun blistered lip that sometimes will crack and bleed at night.

Hello, It may possible to have periodontal disease.

If you have blister on lip so avoid it to scratch.

Also use petroleum jelly to sooth it.

Oral betadine mouth gargles can be helpful.

Avoid hot and spicy foods.

A clinical examination by a dentist should be considered.

Do regular brushing – twice daily, using soft bristle brush and changing tooth brush after every 3 months.

Do flossing, use of interdental aids.

I hope this helps. If you have any further query then feel free to ask. Positive feedback and bonus are highly appreciated. Thank you.

Dr. Anil Kumar, General Physician
Experience: M.D. with over 30 years of experience in practice.