Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

I have a tenderness deep in my neck around carotid artery.

I have a tenderness deep in my neck around carotid artery. I feel soreness if i move my head in certain positions and also in certain instances when i swallow. Do i need to be concerned. Also when i lean over or put my head down i feel the soreness and throbbing along with my pulse.
Hi--how long has this been going on? Any swelling or lump where you're tender?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

this is the second day. I have been pressing in that area which may not have helped. I cant see any swelling or lump or even feel anything when i press in. i feel my pulse when i press down and maybe muscle/ligaments? Not sure

And when you swallow and move your head the pain is in the same area?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes in the same area...again its only in certain positions. for example if i turn my head right completely and swallow i feel slight pain/uncomfortableness

OK--this sounds like just a strain of your sternocleidomastoid muscle and nothing else. You should be able to feel your pulse there so really nothing serious here and nothing to worry about. It'll probably resolve in a day or two
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you. why does it throb when i put my head down? is it the artery pressing up on the muscle that causes the slight pain?

Yes plus the fact that an inflammed muscle does tend to throb on its own