kimo31
kimo31, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  Family Practice resident.
14971955

Im seeking some additional information. Im a 25 year old male.

Customer Question

Im seeking some additional information. Im a 25 year old male. I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy in March along with blood work. All came back normal. I started taking pro biotics in june and went gluten/carb free diet after eating alot of fried foods usually. Ive lost about 10 or 15 pounds. I started having a pain in my left ribs. I went a saw my primary doctor and he examed me. he said i had floating rib and send me to a chiropactor. He also said i had floating ribs. The pain has reall went down over the last few days. Here is my scare...my stools are inconsistent. Somtimes normal, sometimes very light yellow. I had a CT scan on saturday of my entire abodomen, those come back normal as well. My stools are still light yellow today. Ive had all the tests i can have and i cant believe im asking this but a CT scan would definitely show cancer right?
Category: Health
Expert:  kimo31 replied 1 year ago.

kimo31 :

Hello, I am happy to assist you with your question today.

kimo31 :

I am sorry to hear about your concern for pale stools.

Customer :

Is there anything i should be worried about here?

Customer :

considering all the tests?

Customer :

i know that the barium i drank can turn my stool pale

Customer :

but its now been over 72 hours

kimo31 :

That is alright

kimo31 :

You have had quite an extensive workup. The colonoscopy, endoscopy, and CT scan are quite sensitive to picking up cancers of the GI tract. The blood work is also likely very helpful to your physician. The scopes can also investigate the potential cause of pale stools being from an inflammatory condition of the bowel.

Customer :

so, nothing to worry here

Customer :

?

Customer :

i have been eating some more foods that i havent ate in over 3 months

Customer :

can that be causing it?

kimo31 :

This is another potential cause of pale stools

kimo31 :

Another interesting curiosity is whether the probiotics could turn stool a different color. The timing in this case does not seem to support that however.

kimo31 :

In some cases, probiotics can change the color of stools.

Customer :

well once i started taking the probitocs

Customer :

my stools started changing

Customer :

sometimes dark brown, brown, yellow, tan

Customer :

inconsistent

kimo31 :

Other things that can cause light or yellow appearing stools is a disruption of the biliary system, which is less likely if your labwork and imaging studies are all normal.

kimo31 :

Food is often a culprit also.

Customer :

could this still be from the barium?

kimo31 :

I would trust the workup that has been done and certainly discuss alternative possibilities with your provider. It seems as though your primary concern was for cancer, and while nothing is ever 100%, the amounting of tests that you list would normally demonstrate some sign of cancer.

kimo31 :

Well the barium was taken Saturday but you stated that the stools have been pale prior to this?

Customer :

well

Customer :

i was having light stools off and on

Customer :

not totally

kimo31 :

Barium can discolor stools ~white. If this started very soon after taking the barium then it may be the source.

kimo31 :

If you require any further assistance regarding this topic, please feel free to ask. If you have no further questions, kindly rate the comments with excellent feedback.

Expert:  Karel1 replied 1 year ago.
Also check with you md if he took a blood test for c-diff, it would involve you bringing the stool specimen to the lab but only if they are yellow. You might ask your md to give you a script for this. Then you can go to a lab where they check your blood and ask them for a sterile stool specimen cup. Then you would collect the stool when its a yellow one. c- diff is for infection. I doubt you have it except when you say yellow stool, but its hard to catch unless you bring it when the stool is yellow. If this was done already , then of course great.
Expert:  kimo31 replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Yes, thank you Karel1 for your instructions on testing for Clostridium Difficile. In regard to the question; I see that while our conversation was cut a little short, you haven't posted a follow up question or rated this discussion with feedback. Please know that only after you provide excellent feedback to this question do I get credit for having discussed it with you. If you have any remaining question about this topic, then I am certainly happy to assist you further. I wish you the very best and look forward to hearing back from you.