kimo31, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  Family Practice resident.

Generally speaking, will poison oak clear up without any medical

Generally speaking, will poison oak clear up without any medical attention? If so, approximately how long should it take to clear up?

Hello, I am happy to assist with your question about poison oak today.

I am sorry to hear about the exposure!

This exposure will generally clear up.

I believe a rating was received by mistake, as I have not yet provided an answer to your question. In general, this is best prevented by avoiding the plant altogether. Once exposed, a "dermatitis" can appear and cause a red, itchy rash, which is later followed by raised lesions on the skin. It will eventually resolve, but washing the oil from the skin with soap and water can help to reduce symptoms. Oatmeal baths and cool wash rags can be used to treat the symptoms. Topical steroid cream may also help with symptoms of itchiness, although they will not help with the raised skin or small blisters (vesicles) that may develop later. If you or someone you know has a large area of their skin affected, you may consider presenting to their primary care physician or an urgent care center for considering a dose of steroids that are available by prescription only.

I do hope that this answers your question and I wish all involved a speedy recovery.