Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

Hi. My partner wants to wean himself off Nexium because he

Hi. My partner wants to wean himself off Nexium because he read how it can deplete you of vitamins and minerals,etc. How can he do this safely?

Also, I used to take Nexium but even though I have GERD and am 25#overweight, I only wake up with acid in my throat once in a while. I need to raise the head of my bed but havent done so yet. Am I ok as long as I have very feww and infrequent symtomatology?Thanks!
Hi--first why is your partner taking the Nexium? Second, did your doctor think your reflux didn't need any medication for treatment?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks! I don't know why he takes it. I think GERD. My doc told me I could wean off 3 years back and I havent taken it since then.

OK--Nexium needs to be weaned to prevent a rebound acid overload in the stomach so he needs to take one pill every other day for two weeks, then one pill every third day for two weeks. He may need Maalox or Mylanta from time to time if he gets heartburn during this period. As for you it sounds to me as though you really don't need the medication for now.