Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the emergency room.

Hi I am 64 years old and have weakness which started about

Hi

I am 64 years old and have weakness which started about 3 months back gradually, I have lost about 4 to 5kg. Sometimes when I eat, I feel very weak and dizzy and my blood pressure drops to 97/53 and i have lot of sweating. I recently got blood work and urine work done they didn't find anything. However I have been treated for Urinary Track Infection about 1 month back and they gave me some antibiotics of swallon prostrate gland.

Please advise why the weight loss and dizziness and drop in blood pressure.

Thanks
Rajendra
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. R. Bora replied 10 months ago.
Hello and welcome, I am happy to help you today.

Have you checked your blood sugar and thyroid profile?

Have you lost weight spontaneously without changing your diet?

Have you done anything different in the last 3 months that has caused weight loss?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi

Thank you for your help. Yes checked blood sugar is normal. No change in diet in the last 3 months.

I was treated for a Urinary Track Infection about a month back. I feel better.

I take BP medicine.

Thanks

Rajendra

Hello Rajendra. Thanks for your input.

You did not mention whether you checked the thyroid profile.If normal, its alright.

Weight loss in a matter if 3 months is not very drastic but it is definitely a matter of concern.

You have to get thorough blood check up like complete blood panel including all the cell counts, blood iron levels, vitamin B12, Vitamin D, metabolites like calcium, magnesium, electrolytes like sodium, potassium, chloride levels. Abnormal levels of any of these parameters would point towards a particular abnormality and will need follow up.

The dizziness of course if from the fall in your blood pressure and weight loss.

If you have any further question, I would be happy to help you.

I hope my answer has helped you.

Please remember to rate my service positive once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you! Bonuses would be appreciated.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thyriod is slighty above normal, they said I didn't have to take medication as its border line. I got a full blood work done a month back and they didn't find anything only cholestrol and border line thyroid

Thank you Doctor.

Alright.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Borderline thyroid should be treated according to recent protocol. I would suggest talking this with an endocrinologist.

You may not be having symptoms due to the slightly overactive thyroid but the weight loss could simply be due to the slightly high thyroid hormones as this can increase your metabolic activity resulting in increased cellular function at the molecular level and weight loss.
You should also get an ultrasound study of the thyroid gland.

I hope my answer has helped you.

Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience: 14 years experience in the emergency room.