Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

for Dr. Chip, I am a 48 year old Midwestern lady stilllllllll

for Dr. Chip, I am a 48 year old Midwestern lady stilllllllll dealing with menopause or something? I am better since starting estrogen and cns is much better but now experience a stiff neck and muscle aches like the flu only about ten times worse. Symptoms come and go and ease at times. Made the bioedentical decision a long time ago and I think I will stay the course as I am better but can't remember if say the pill keeps the hormone in your system longer? When I had my bllod test one time take about 24 hours later I hardly had any in my system but after 12 I think my estrogen was 111 and my naturopath was happy with that number. My progesterone was still low but at least present. How have you been? Convert to conservatism yet? teasing but don't you wish you had voted Romney now?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 11 months ago.
Hey--and it doesn't matter to me who's atXXXXX How's your thyroid doing?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Haven't had it tested for a while now. Both Drs. keep treating me like I don't need it checked again but I do plan to ask again next appt. I personally still think that is the main problem. GP thinks menopause is "playing" with thyroid but not enough to treat. Not sure I agree. When I tried more hormone on day 13 one cycle with extra iron, I vomited 5 time in an explosive way like never before so I believe it to be a thyroid?hormone/iron interaction of some sort but can't figure it out. Just happy to be going in the right direction. I went back to my normal dose. Heat has been difficult to deal with and needed to keep house temp low which hubby didn't like but put up with to a manageable degree. Daughter off to college. She wrote a beautiful letter that I cherish but made for quite a tearful parting. I gave her, The Power of Positive thinking" and wrote a little on the insert in hopes it will help her create a beautiful life which I now understand does not necessarily mean an easy one but have been able to submit it to God better than I expected:) Really good to converse with you Doc:)

I'd also suggest The Spirituality of Imperfection by Kurtz and Ketcham and The Road Less Traveled by Peck. Tell me more about the muscle problem
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Wake up with a stiff neck, so much so that I have difficulty driving at times. It does get better after my coffee and something to eat. It is bothersome but I prefer it to the CNS stuff. It is worse on certain days that seem to make sense- day12-13 and like now day 22-23 so am hoping it is still low hormone thing. My head is almost back to normal -some sensations but it no longer burns like it use to.

Just stiffness or actual neck pain?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I would describe it as "stiff"

But just your neck? No muscle stiffness anywhere else?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Yes. What does it mean or possibly mean? Have a lady lunch thing (Some friends actually hung in with me!) so I have to go but will ask more later. Sorry I should have picked a better time.

Just get back to me when you can and we'll continue Cindy
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Sounds good:)

Later gator
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

• I am back. Enjoyed lunch and then had to pick up my son. I hadn't had lunch with my friends like that since I don't even know how long. They have been concerned about me but say I am a lot better than when they spoke with me last. One friend has a brother who thought he had ALS but it turns out he has lyme disease and is now walking. The best can describe last year was "torment" I am happy to be better but still have some nagging symptoms. Still afraid it might be something else but trying to savor every joy which I do, even my coffee.

Cindy--you caught me just as I was about to leave the office--come back here in about three hours if you can
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

shall do:)

Later then
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Good evening. I do think menopause is "playing with my thyroid" but what can I do about it if the homone level does not indicate supplementation? Suffer it out which is what I think I am doing. How do they diagnose other thyroid problems? do you think it is thyroid related? If tomorrow works better for you just let me know. Thanks

Welcome back. So you think the muscle pains are thyroid related?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I think it is hormone related because of the days but not sure. Feels like maybe somehow a lesser reaction than the CNS or there is some sense of that and I am not sure why I have come to that conclusion. After the estrogen addition things became better and I became increasingly hungry with almost instant weight gain- like a squirrel storing up nuts for the winter I watched myself add to the middle. I am up to 150 or so now. My body temp still runs about one degree lower than it ever has so I think that is thyroid related. I still haven't touched sugar but actually ate a corn muffin with no adverse reaction and I think there must have been a little sugar in it. I can also eat alittle thin crust pizza etc. This was definitely a result of the introduction to the estrogen. My neck improves after coffee and I think it might be stimulating the hormones as it is a stimulant. We have tried to increase the hormones but it makes me worse. So I guess we have decided slow and steady is the plan for now.

Well, I don't think the neck is related to your thyroid and caffeine is indeed a stimulant but the relief in muscle pain with it isn't really hormone related. Not everything that goes on with you is due to one or more hormones. By the way--wrong animal analogy--more like a kangaroo mother with her young in her pouch. Did you see Obama's speech?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Perhaps. My husband thinks my neck symptoms are from sleeping wrong but it really isn't like that because I have known that in the past and it is different somehow. I guess I'll have to see what time will clarify. Why can't I blame everything on hormones? I have been doing it for years now. Ha. I am kidding with a little bit of truth.

Yes, I saw the speech. Not impressed. Don't even know what to hope for this time. How about you?

There's no easy answer. The best thing I think we all can do is just stay completely out of the middle east and let them go on with the internal fighting they've been doing for centuries.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Yes, I would have to agree but it doesn't satisfy. I comfort myself with the knowledge that He allows the weeds with the wheat only for a time. Hard to watch with our limited vision though. He must allow it only because there is more to the story.

I will keep you posted on my journey through the desert-menopause. At least things are going in the right direction, right?

Yes--it does sound like you're doing much better. With the middle east thing, I'm reminded of a line from Chrisopher Marlowe's "Doctor Faustus"--about the guy that sells his soul to the devil for wealth and luxury for twenty years. When Faustus is confronted by Mephistopheles--Satan's go-between--he asks him why he has left hell to come to earth. Mephistopheles replies, "Why, this is hell, nor am I out of it." Take care Cindy.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Dr. Chip, remember me? Things are sooo much better now. Most cns symptoms are gone or very mild now. It seems to have been hormonal/adrenal thing. Stressss hitting at a really bad time and adrenals not being able to handle the load or at least that is the general current thought on it right now. Thyroid came back normal last time again. Hard to believe that monster was hormonal but think so and I think I had the about the worst one known to womankind. I can actually eat now- I could eat that meal at the Olive Garden. Don't know how I made it when I look back but know I had "a little help from my friends. Unfortunately tribulation has take a new form for our family recently. My son had a testicular torsion- terrible but good doctor performed surgery and we are all hopeful. The doctor did give him physical activity restriction and am wondering if that would include playing an instrument. What do u think?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 months ago.
Hi ho Cindy. What instrument and how long had he had pain before he got to a doctor and got the surgery?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Right at the 8 hour mark. He had woke with what he thought was underwear pinching him about a month ago. He took a hot bath and the pain went away. Not so last time but he took the long hot bath. We gave him tylenol and ice and when it wouldn't go away knew we had to go somewhere. I wanted ER hubby thought urgent care. Not being a guy, I let him make the call so all tha took time precious time before we then made it to ER. My husband thought of it like his brothers football injury and had never heard of a "torsion" I am trying to understand but wish I had followed mother's intuition. we had a wonderful surgeon and it looks good but we won't know definitively for 7-10 days. They called it dusky so I am worried but hopeful. Swelling way down and pain level like a 1 on 1-10 scale now. Anyway we did get general instructions but now wondering about the instrument as I think dr. meant PE, rough housing or jumping. He is done with basoon for awhile and is now playing trombone so it would be the trombone.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 months ago.
Sounds like it was treated in very good time so I think his testicle will be fine. Unfortunately, with a wind instrument like the trombone, it would be best to keep that on the restricted list until the restriction has been lifted. Takes too much straining to blow on the mouthpiece
Customer: replied 4 months ago.

So good to hear your good assessment . Okay, I can see how that would be the case with the instrument.

He is now laughing about it a bit with his friends. Age 12 is quite the ride. Do you think it will affect his ability to have children if he so choses. Do you really only need one? Does this mean that it will be more sensitive to injury in the future? Please tell me he won't need to take hormones.

How about singing?

How are you doc Chip? Are you still singing?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 months ago.
No--the testicle was viable and this shouldn't affect his fertility at all and yes, we guys can get along just fine thank you with just one testicle. Singing is fine for him (tell him he's lucky he didn't suddenly switch from a tenor or a bass to an alto or soprano). Yes--still singing and playing the piano
Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Good to know:) and glad to know you still have your sense of humor as well. Ha! I will tell him. He will get a kick put of that! I am exhausted- you know teacher e-mails, sweat pants ready, etc. mom stuff. Thanks for your answers. Goodnight.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 months ago.
Any time Cindy--glad you're doing well. Happy Easter
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)