Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
4713694

Is there REALLY a way to cure leaky gut?

What are your current symptoms?
Since how long have you been suffering from?
Are you taking any medications?
Any other medical history?
Stress and anxiety issues?
Have you undergone any investigations so far?

Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My symptoms are food in my stool, distended stomach, stools that tend to be soft and going towards loose. I've been diagnosed with fructose malabsorption. I do not have celiac although supposedly I am gluten intolerant. However, staying away from gluten doesn't seem to make any difference one way or another.

Thanks for providing more information.

As such Leaky gut syndrome is still about half theoretical but more an more research indicates that improper gut function is a problem.
And investigations like Colonoscopy,Stool routine examination should be done to rule out other possible causes like Irritable Bowel syndrome, Colitis.

The line of treatment for Leaky Gut Syndrome is-

You should take acidophilus supplements or eat yogurt three times a day.

You should also eat slowly and have small meals to promote proper digestion.
You should eliminate fast food, junk food and caffeine, alcohol from your diet.
Also Aloe Vera juice will aid digestion and should be incorporated into your daily diet.
You should also use olive oil or canola oil to cook with and take a fish oil capsule every day.
You should increase the amount of fiber you eat each day, such as vegetables, fruits and whole grains.Also split peas, lentils and other legumes are all great sources of fiber.
I-glutamine can be continued.

Start a probiotic and Metamucil.
You should avoid stress, deep breathing exercises will help in overcoming stress.

I suggest you to consult a gastroenterologist for further evaluation and management.

I hope this helps.
If you have any further query then feel free to ask.
Positive feedback and bonus are highly appreciated.
Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, this helps. I am doing a lot of what you say. I do take probiotics; unfortunately, I haven't been taking them everyday, but will try to be more aware of doing so.

I've been told that with my fructose malabsorption, that high-fiber foods cause my stomach to distend because I am not properly absorbing the fiber.

Colitis has been ruled out, but obviously I have irritable bowel syndrome. But I suppose the same remedy you suggested above would apply to the IBS?

I am getting a colonoscopy and endoscopy this month. But if the endoscopy shows that my villi are practically flattened out completely, is there anything I can do at that point?

Sorry for late reply and inconvenience.
It may be possible to have Irritable Bowel syndrome in your case.
Usually same line of treatment helps in such condition.
However if there would be any abnormality detected in colonoscopy and endoscopy then further prescribed medications can be advised.
Celiac disease can cause flattened villi and as you have no celiac disease so chances of flattened villi are less.

I hope this helps.
Thank you