Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

Hemorroidal surgery. THD vs PPH ?

Hemorroidal surgery. THD vs PPH ?
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

PPH is considered slightly superior surgery because; the recurrence rate of hemorrhoids is likely to be negligible. But it is slightly more expensive than Transanal hemorrhoidal arterial ligation (THD).

PPH has other slight advantages;

a) Admission is not required.
b) Only sedation is necessary for surgery.

Though there is no absolute consensus among the surgeons; usually surgical community keeps PPH (it needs spinal or general anesthesia) as a superior surgery as it removes all the tissue which causes formation of the hemorrhoids.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your answer. What about the recover time ? pain ?

Multiple studies have shown that in comparison with open or closed hemorrhoidectomy, stapled hemorrhoidopexy results in less pain and faster return to normal activity. Compared to PPH, THD too have almost same pain intensity and duration (mild pain for 2-4 days). Though recovery is slightly faster in THD by a day or so (average recovery time 2-3 days).

It is privilege assisting you.