Dr. Natasha
Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained

My son has to have a CDT test for the DVLA in order to get

My son has to have a CDT test for the DVLA in order to get his driving licence back. He has up to one week ago been a very heavy drinker - although not dependent on alcohol he has most certainly misused alcohol. He is now not drinking at all and his appetite has finally come back, he's eating healthily, going to the gym and taking vitamin b and c supplements. My concern is that I really need him to get his driving licence back as I think it will help him get back on the right track. He lost his licence in the first place as he was suffering from depression after a really serious bout of glandular fever and after losing his licence it just made things worse and that's when he started with the drinking and at that stage taking drugs as well. He managed to conquer the drugs several years ago but the drinking he's only decided to stop now. How long will it take (assuming that he will continue with the healthy lifestyle and not drinking at all) for his CDT levels to return within the normal range? He is very slight - is about 5 feet 6.5 inches tall and weighs about 9stone at the moment - which is obviously seriously underweight for someone his age (32) and height.
from a very supportive and concerned mother
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 10 months ago.

Hi
Thank you for your question.

When someone drinks alcohol at the rate of about five drinks a day, the liver cell does not manufacture transferrin in the normal way (it eliminates some of the side cars). The molecule becomes deficient in sugar side-chains. This is where the name “carbohydrate-deficient transferrin” comes from. Heavy alcohol use causes the transferrin molecule to be abnormal or “carbohydrate-deficient.”

The test does not correlate with the amount of alcohol consumed, but relates to the prolonged consumption of large quantities of alcohol (>60g of alcohol per day over at least a week). A single episode of heavy drinking will not elevate CDT levels.

Therefore under conditions of total abstinence it may take 1-2 months for %CDT levels to return to normal.

PS I am a certified Medical Review Officer (MRO) trained in the interpretation of drug and alcohol testing

I hope that this helped.
Please leave positive feedback if it did

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

and what would be classed as normal %CDT? Assuming that he does manage to maintain total abstinence of alcohol for the next 5-6 weeks is there anything else we can do now to help get everything back to normal. i.e. any particular supplements he can take, any particular type of food etc

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Relist: Other.
just need to elaborate further
Expert:  Dr. R. Bora replied 10 months ago.

As you have re listed the question, I will try to help answer your remaining questions.

In normal subjects CDT comprises less than 1.6% of the total transferrin concentration. Excess alcohol intake significantly increases this percentage and the increase is independent of the presence of liver disease; alcohol appearing to affect the above mentioned enzyme systems directly.

Now to answer your question:He can take silybon that has milk thistle ,it has a supportive effect on the liver cells which ave been damaged by alcohol, excess fat or other unwanted substances deposited.Another supplement is SAMe ( S adenosyl methionine)is a supplement nd is available OTC in nearby health stores.

You should check his blood vitamin A and E levels which is usually found to be deficient in alcoholic persons.

I d not guarantee that these supplements will bring down the CDT level but will compensate the liver damage caused by drinking alcohol itself, the latter being considered to be a harmful toxin to the liver.

If you have any further question, I would be happy to help you.

I hope my answer has helped you.

Please remember to rate my service positive once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you! Bonuses would be appreciated.

Hi-
There are no supplements which will help this process faster. Only time. I apologize for bring briefly offline
Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience: American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained
Hi
I was checking in to see how your son was doing :-)
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

He's still sticking to not drinking at all and is eating healthily and going to the gym - but its only been a couple of weeks and he needs to do it for a couple of months at least. Thank you for asking

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

That is fantastic. Keep up the encouragement!
:-)