Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

Good Morning Doc. I woke up yesterday morning with a sore

Good Morning Doc.

I woke up yesterday morning with a sore thumb. It hurt in the joint but that was only symtptom. I do not remember jamming it or doing anythign to cause this pain. I put ice on it throughout the day. Now...24 hours later it is double in size, throbbing and cannot bend. No real redness but most of the pain is in the joint below the nail itself. Any idea what this can be?

Hello Regina ,
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

Your symptoms are suggestive of a condition called as paronychia. This is a nail bed infection. Following are the treatment;

1) Warm compresses with half strength hydrogen peroxide
2) Thumb splint
3) Antibiotics
4) Analgesics; Motrin
5) Incision and drainage.

Please read about it;

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

And you don't think it can be a spider bite or anything like that?

I looked at the site on paronychia and do not have any sign of redness or sores like shown in picture.

Hello Regina,

The internet would provide description of the classical picture and there are quite variation in individual presentation. An overnight swelling (redness may be absent in paronychia and usually present in insect / spider bites) with soreness, swelling, inability to bend is likely due to infection. If it is not the nail bed infection, it has to be infection in the surrounding joint or soft tissue. The treatment remains same as we discussed, though incision and drainage may not be required and only antibiotics and analgesics may suffice.

It is privilege assisting you.