Dr. Nitika
Dr. Nitika, Doctor
Experience:  General Physician experience in Medicine, Integrative, CAM
2598649

Hi I had an endoscopy yesterday and the specialist handed me

Hi I had an endoscopy yesterday and the specialist handed me a report afterwards which is concerning me. He has sent for biopsies and I wont know results till Friday. On the report -
Chronic atrophic gastritis numerous nodule 6 - 8mm slightly eroded apices
Appearance suggestive of autoimmune gastritis possible carcinoid nodules.
DDx nodular erosive. What does this mean and what is Chronic ..... and what is autoimmune gastritis - I think I know what carcinoid means.

Thank you - I look forward to your reply -
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Nitika replied 1 year ago.

A chronic condition is a human health condition or disease that is persistent or
otherwise long-lasting in its effects.

Autoimmune gastritis occurs when your body attacks the cells that make up your stomach lining.

Gastritis means inflammation of the stomach mucosa.

Autoimmune gastritis is more common in people with other autoimmune disorders.

The doctor has sent the tissue for biopsy and want to rule out any associated carcinoid tumours.

Differential diagnosis include Nodular erosive gastritis.

Erosive gastritis is gastric mucosal erosion caused by damage to mucosal
defenses.

Also there may be appearance is that of a series of 3 to 11-mm nodules.

The condition may be caused by H.Pylori infection.

Dr. Nitika, Doctor
Experience: General Physician experience in Medicine, Integrative, CAM
Expert:  Dr. R. Bora replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Dr. Bora.

I was following your question and see that the above expert did not mention many important aspects of autoimmune gastritis.

Appearance suggestive of autoimmune gastritis
: this means that there are approx. 6 to 8 mm size multiple swellings like nodules inside your stomach which are suspected to be due to autoimmune gastritis (but not confirmed). Now autoimmune gastritis or AG is associated commonly with long term gastritis (also known as chronic gastritis). The cause is commonly an infection with H. pylori and the good news is that, this infection is treatable with antibiotics. But this may not cure you completely because you are having it for a long time (chronic). Something that would do good to your medical issue is vitamin B12 supplements which is usually deficient in chronic atrophic gastritis.

So, the botXXXXX XXXXXne is that your doctor suspects chronic atrophic gastritis and if they further find that it is due to H. pylori infection, you have a hope of getting the condition treated with appropriate antibiotics.
But if there is no infection found, it can be autoimmune (body cells act against its own cells) and you should receiving B12 supplements and intrinsic factor.

If you have any further question, I would be happy to help you.

For new or follow up questions, please request me as Dr. Bora in the opening statement of the question.

I hope my answer has helped you.

Please remember to rate my service positive once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you! Bonuses would be appreciated.