Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I HAVE TROUBLE WALKING VERY FAR BECAUSE MY LEGS HURT AND I

I HAVE TROUBLE WALKING VERY FAR BECAUSE MY LEGS HURT AND I GET SHORT OF BREATH. I HAVE A RED RASH ON BOTH LOWER LEGS THAT WILL NOT GO AWAY. I HAVE HAD TESTS ON MY HEART AND THEY SAY I AM FINE. DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT MY PROBLEM IS? I AM 71 YEARS OLD BUT NOT READY TO SLOW DOWN. THANKS, GAIL

Hello Gail,
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

Since when are pain in legs on walking, shortness of breath and rash?
When were you diagnosed COPD?
Was an ultrasound done for your legs?
Do you smoke or use tobacco in any form?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH C.O.P.D. IN JANUARY, 2013, AFTER HAVING THE FLU AND HAD TO GO TO THE HOSPITAL. I HAVE NEVER SMOKED. I ALSO HAD A TEST ON MY LEGS TO CHECK THE BLOOD FLOW IN OCTOBER 2012 AND I PASSED.

I NEED TO KNOW WHAT KIND OF DOCTOR I NEED TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT WITH? THANKS, GAIL

You are very welcome, Gail.

The specialists to consult would be a neurologist and a clinical immunologist (rheumatologist). You would need following investigations;

1) MRI of the lower back to diagnose a condition called as neurological claudication. See the resource about it;

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2474/10/121

2) Antinuclear antibodies
3) Glycosylated hemoglobin
4) Other immunological panel.

These should be able to diagnose the cause of COPD (there is a condition called as interstitial fibrosis, if it has not already ruled out; the investigations will give clue to it also) and your other symptoms.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.