Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

after my 55 pound weight loss my doesnt come anymore

after my 55 pound weight loss my period doesn't come anymore is this normal??? I eat a very healthy diet but it still won't come!!!

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

The laboratory testing done for absence of period (termed as secondary amenorrhea) should include measurements of serum prolactin, thyrotropin, and FSH to test for hyperprolactinemia, thyroid disease, and ovarian failure, which may have been done in your case. The causes of missed or delayed periods are;

1) Ovarian hormone dysfunctions

2) Thyroid hormone abnormalities

3) Stress, anxiety, emotional disorders

4) Sudden weight loss or gain

5) Excessive physical activity

6) Hyperprolactinemia

If all the hormonal and above causes are ruled out, one of the most common types of secondary amenorrhea is functional hypothalamic amenorrhea, which by definition rules out pathologic disease. In this there is a decrease in hypothalamic gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) secretion. Multiple factors may contribute to the pathogenesis of functional hypothalamic amenorrhea, including eating disorders, exercise, and stress. However, in a few women with functional hypothalamic amenorrhea no obvious precipitating factor is evident (this might be true in your case).

Read the resource under the heading secondary amenorrhea;

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/amenorrhea/DS00581/DSECTION=causes

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

most of the time I am bang on but 8 weeks without a cycle is crazy!!! I took out sugars, all carbs except fruit and eat a very lean diet. Maybe I should get bloodwork done!!!

Hello Ingrid,

No harm in getting the blood work done. Though the hormones are likely to re adjust in next 4-6 weeks and your normal periods are very likely to resume.

It is privilege assisting you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I guess my body is in "shock" lol after my weightloss!!!! I will make an appointment with my family dr and get back to you asap.

The hormones do need adjustment with a sudden or significant weight loss. Please keep me updated.

Thank you.