Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience
8227957

I am not sure how long it should take to recover from food

I am not sure how long it should take to recover from food poisoning/stomach virus. Last Friday early AM woke with cramping and diarrhea. Slight fever (99.5 - my normal body temp is 97.6-97.8), headache, nausea, dizzy/light-headed, could barely walk from the couch to the bathroom to the bedroom. Stayed home from work, couldn't eat, just slept all day. Saturday, pretty much the same, diarrhea stopped mid-day - primarily because I wasn't eating, I was drinking electrolyte drink, temp still in the 99's dizzy. Sunday, felt a little better, but still slept 4 hours during the day, tried to drink a couple slim-fasts, had some vegetable broth, a couple cubes of cheese, still couldn't sit up for more than a couple hours at a time. Monday (day 4) tried to get up to go to work, drank a smoothie - with a slim-fast base, and got too dizzy and decided to stay home.

How long is this going to last? when should I call my PCP?

Thank you for your question,

I’m Dr. Saha and I’ll try to help you.

How is stool now?

How is urine?

Do you feel nausea, vomiting?

How is temperature?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Dr. Saha,

Stool is loose, but not watery like before -- not very much because I haven't been eating much. Urine, I think is ok. I have tried really hard to keep some fluid going in, output is a little low (I am a runner so I am used to keeping track of my fluid intake/output) - but not orange or anything. I am very nauseated, and dizzy. No vomiting. My temp today is still a little high, for me (around the 98.9 range), but coming down. I do take prilosec (for GERD), and was taking Celebrex (haven't taken any since Thursday - this was for some arthritic issues). I am not overweight (130#, 5'6''), and like I said, I am an endurance runner (I run a lot - like 70 miles/week a lot). I am just not used to virus's knocking me out like this.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Dr. Saha,

Thank you Bonnie, for the information.

I would suggest to get an examination by doctor now.

As you are feeling so weak, dizzy an examination is necessary.

There can be dehydration, fall of blood pressure.

As you are still having loose stool, nausea, fever you need to rule out a bacterial infection too.

A stool test, blood electrolytes, count should be checked too.

Please continue to take oral rehydration solution as the urine output is lower.

This also suggests dehydration.

I hope this information helps.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know.

If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as good or excellent. If you want to click poor or bad service, please stop & feel free to reply & ask till you are satisfied.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification. I hope to work with you again soon!

Regards