Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

Can water in ur house make hair itchy?

Customer Question

Can water in ur house make hair itchy?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi--can you first tell me what's going on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i dnt think monoxidil is the cause of the itchy ness i think its the water in my house,,, or the alcohol in the 5 percent monoxidil.. it makes my scalp dry what can i do to keep it oily?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OH, hi Matt--didn't realize it was you. How bad is this itchiness?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

its not really bad... but it still itchy,,

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
And again--no redness or flaking of the scalp itself?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

nope and nope

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
But I assume the water in your house was the same even before you had the itching problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no,, i moved houses ,, then all this problem started,, i was using monoxidil + adelaic acid 10 percent,,,, the water taste weird like its got chemicals in it.. thats why am curious if the water can cause my hair to itch

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
You refer to your hair itching but I assume you mean your scalp since hair itself has no feeling? But nowhere else on your body is there itching--just your scalp?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yea,, just the scalp and mostly the part i use monox on.. its nt itchy as before,, but its still itchy

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
If the water were the problem you should have itching elsewhere besides your scalp. Have you tried applying the baby oil at night?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

should i apply the baby oil at night or just during the day

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Both--that's the best way to keep your scalp moist/oily without irritating it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

dr a few min ago i pilled off something off my scalp ..it looked like my scalp pilled off just one tiny bit.. looks brownish .. what does that mean?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Sounds like you may have tinea capitis--a fungal infection. You can try Lamisil over the counter cream once a day for a week to see if it clears up
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what do u think of sodium lautrette sulphate?? its in my shampoo and also does it cause inflamation?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Indeed it can. You seem to be much too focused on the appearance of your hair, Matt--just use baby shampoo for now. There's really no advantage over that with any fancier shampoos