Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

Hi Dr. I am a 73 yr old female and I have had 3 blood clots

Hi Dr. I am a 73 yr old female and I have had 3 blood clots at different times after surgery. I just had an INR last Friday and just learned that my INR was 2.1 and that my protime is very high. The doctor had been trying to get ahold of me on Saturday, but my phone was out of order. Needless to say I am not sure what is going on. Is this something to worry about or will meds adjust the problem
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

Did she mention the value of the prothrombin time?
Do you have any liver issue?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She just said it is very high, as far as I know I do not have a liver problem I had a blood test not too long ago last month and it was okay

Warfarin (Coumadin) can increase the prothrombin time and may increase the risk of bleeding. But since your INR is not very high (your present INR of 2.1 is usually recommended for people who have history of blood clot), so this is unlikely to be emergency or anything serious. Though you should get it repeated today as there is a likelihood of fallacy in the test.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I talked to the nurse again and she the protime was 22.2 is that okay thank you so much for your help

You are very welcome.

The reference range for prothrombin time is 9.5-13.5 seconds. So this is high. The reference range for international normalized ratio (INR) is less than 1.3 usually who are not on anticoagulants. Since your INR being 2.1, the prothrombin time should be around 17-18. So it is slightly higher but not alarming.

It is privilege assisting you.