Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

I fell down two days ago, face-forward and landed on all fours

I fell down two days ago, face-forward and landed on all fours but especially hard on the right knee. It was swollen and hurt pretty bad the first day (I could still walk okay) and didn't hurt at all the day after, but now the leg and foot is swollen (especially the foot). It still doesn't hurt, but it feels tingly and swollen and weird and I'm bruised pretty badly under the knee.
It's the middle of the night here and I'm terrified of hospitals so unless it's life-threatening I just want to wait until tomorrow, but I'm freaking out and scared to go to bed.
Hi--how much of the leg is swollen?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

From the knee down, but especially my foot

OK. This is an emergency but you can wait until morning to get it evaluated. It's likely that you've developed a deep venous thrombosis--a clot in a leg vein. The real danger of that is a possible pulmonary embolus if part of the clot breaks off and travels to a lung, and that can be life threatening. You need a Doppler venous flow study of the leg and if you do have a DVT you'll need heparin immediately followed by Coumadin to prevent the clot from breaking loose. If between now and when you can get to a doctor you start to have chest pain and shortness of breath, you need to get to the ER immediately.