Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

I am currently on sertraline 50mg tablets for depression. At

I am currently on sertraline 50mg tablets for depression. At first they appeared to help me feel more balanced and not as if the world were closing in on me.

I also at the beginning receiving therapy through my employee's (I work in retail) but after two months this ended.

I am struggling with fatigue and the fear of going outdoors. For the first time in months I have called in sick and my fear is that my depression will cause me to loose my job.

I know that they have been supportive in the past but there is only so much support a supermarket can give. I am always low. I have never been suicidal but do wish with all my heart that I could simply sleep the day away fans not wake up.

I guess I'm just wondering if it were possible for me to take long absence but keep my job. I worry so much, though I simply have no energy or drive. What should do? I am based in London. T

Thank you for any help you can give.
Hi--are you seeing a psychiatrist about this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not currently. I recieved two months free with work.

I'n sorry Crystal--I didn't understand what you meant by two months free? Have you talked to your doctor about this and how long have you been on the sertraline?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i have been on it for 7months. i was given 2 months of therapy through my employer. one session a week for 2 months. i didnt have to pay for them. i am currently on the nhs waiting list.

OK but have you talked to the doctor who prescribed them about how you're doing now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

not really. i told them that i didnt think the tablets were working but i dint stress the issue. i am going back tomorrow as the practice is closed on weekends

OK--so one of your concerns is whether you could be on short-term medical leave from your job?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

basically yeah. im worried what all these random days here and there will do to my record at work. thank you so much for responding so quickly. i honestly dont know what to do.

OK Crystal. Just as here in the states, there is a provision for temporary medical sick leave from work but you have to have a doctor fill out the forms for you. Tell the doctor tomorrow all about this and one thing that might help is to increase the sertraline dosage or to switch you to a different SSRI like Effexor. I think you'll be able to get this sorted out and also keep your job but you need to lay it all on the line with your doctor tomorrow.