Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

Hope you can help relieve some of my anxiety. I have been

Hope you can help relieve some of my anxiety. I have been on xanx and zoloft for years. xanax xr .50 3x a day and xanax regular .25 3 to 4x a day. zoloft 125 mg. I suffer from anxiety disorder and panic disorder. It took the doctors many years to get me on these meds because I hate taking medication. I guess you can say I have pill phobia.. I am going for a hip replacement on the 18th of sept. I am really concerned about the xanax interfering with the anesthisia also if they decide to give me pain killers. What are my options for pain killers. I do not want any narcotics. I never took a pain killer in my life and I don't want to start now. Please help me this whole issue is getting me really panicky. Will I be in much pain after anterior hip replacement. They will be giving me a epidural.
thank you
Hello and welcome, Joann,

Your present medications (Xanax and Zoloft) won't interfere in the epidural anesthesia. If your doctors decide to give you continuous epidural for the post operative pain; you are unlikely to need any other analgesics. In majority of the patients with hip replacement; the pain is mild to moderate and can be managed by non narcotic analgesics or sometimes without analgesics (after 3-5 days). Your doctors and you can decide to take acetaminophen for pain once the continuous epidural is off, which can be given with your present medications and does not have any drug interactions with them.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ur answer to my question just relieve a lot of fear I was having. I also didn't want to take pain meds cause it labors ur breathing and that's not a good combination with my medication. That's how so many people and famous people died they just stopped breathing from the meds

I understand your anxiety and fear. But please do not worry. Modern surgical procedures are so much streamlined that you would be surprised that it was so simple and you unnecessarily wasted your precious days worrying about the trivial issue.

It is privilege assisting you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Buy the way can I take my usual meds the morning of the surgery?

The best person to give answer about it is your surgeon and anesthesiologist. Usually we allow it with a sip of water. But you need to ask it your doctors.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanku so much extra positive feedback for you :)
You are most welcome.

Good Luck.

Thank you.