Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I have found a small "shotty" lymph node just above my collar

I have found a small "shotty" lymph node just above my collar bone. My GP had just checked this area about 2 weeks ago during a physical. Should I be concerned, as I have no other symptoms and it is soft and movable?

Thanks.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.

Hello Kevin,
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

Was this confirmed as a lymph node by your doctor?
Do you have any significant past medical history?
Are you anxious?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My doctor did not feel anything. I did not know at the time that there was a lymph node there either. I had a lymph node in my groin that was enlarged about 3 months ago. I had an US and then a CT scan. CT scan showed several lymph nodes in groin, all sub-centimeter and none of any concern. Ever since this has taken place, I am obsessed with looking for lymph nodes. No past medical history except for a cyst removed from ear 25 years ago and hypertension. Yes, I am anxious because of the last 3 months dealing with the groin lymph node.

Kevin,

Lymph nodes are our normal defense mechanism and they get enlarged due to many conditions like skin allergies, infections, sore throat, dandruff in scalp, mouth sores etc (neck lymph nodes). Without the symptoms a small shotty, soft, mobile lymph node is clinically considered as insignificant. The problem arises when we start reading about it on the Internet. This is a very deceptive medium as it does not give information about all the causes of the lymph node enlargement. Search engine also fails to tell about the incidence in an individual perspective and put the serious and rare causes as foremost. People without the medical background may have a very wrong perception of these incidental clinically insignificant findings and always wrong conclusions like lymphoma, leukemia or cancers are made. This may create serious anxiety or panic.

In your case, it is nothing to worry about. Please relax.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I guess google is not your friend.Smile I thought that having a lymph node in this area that you can feel is unusual? I consider it small, it is maybe the size of a pea or kidney bean. It is hard to really tell the size as it moves around so much. If you just press down starting at one end of collar bone and work your way up, you can not feel it. I have to move my fingers in a certain up and down motion to find it I think this is probably why my doctor did not feel it as you have to "look for it". I don't think I have any infections or skin issues etc..... Is it still non concerning if i have no skin issues or infections etc......

Kevin,

No it is still not concerning. Lymph nodes may enlarge without a cause and termed as non specific lymphadenitis. Your description point it to be clinically insignificant. Just because you have been meticulously palpating it, you are able to feel it. Nothing to worry about, I can assure you. Just for relieving your anxiety you may get the complete blood counts and chest x-ray done. That would further substantiate it to be of no importance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your reassurance. I am on vacation and finding this today has put my mind in overdrive.

You are most welcome.

Please do rate the answer as a positive rating is the only way we are credited for the time and expertize.

Have a great vacation.
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine