Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

My mother, aged 84 just experienced sharp pain in her right

My mother, aged 84 just experienced sharp pain in her right leg, just below the knee. She has had a sore knee for several days, and decided it was attributable to old age. She has a congenital heart issue and has a pacemaker, is currently taking Koumadin and blood pressure meds. Should I take her to the ER? She has been putting heat on the knee, but this is different.
Hi--were exactly is the pain and is there any swelling of the knee or the leg?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

On the right leg, just slightly below the knee cap and to the left. It seems to me that there is a slight bit of swelling, but it's not very much.

Any redness or bruising there?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No redness or bruising, no recent falls or spills. Simply came out of nowhere, and with her heart condition, I am worried about blood clots. When she is seated, putting no weight on it, it doesn't hurt as much, but it can't stand any weight at all.

OK--doesn't sound like a clot and with her being on coumadin that wouldn't likely happen. Since it isn't bruised it doesn't sound like it's from bleeding. This sounds like a prepatellar bursitis and nothing too serious Alyson. Doesn't require her going to the ER but her doctor needs to look at it since she may need a cortisone injection to stop the inflammation