Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

Hi I was diagnosed with asthma 3 years ago (I am 49 now) and

I was diagnosed with asthma 3 years ago (I am 49 now) and have had terrible allergies since I was 8 years old. My allergist won't start me on shots until my asthma has been better controlled but despite different steroids it really isn't improving. I *know* my allergies are a big part of the problem and would like to know if he is being too conservative or if I should find another allergist.
- Shannon
Hi--just to be clear here Shannon--what medications are you now taking for you asthma and in what way exactly is it still not being well controlled?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am violently allergic to albuterol. I am taking Qcar 2 puffs 2x daily, and Atrovent 2 puffs every 4 hours, & allegra and montelukast daily.

I haven't done better than 350 on my peak flow meter and I cannot walk up a flight of stairs without sitting down breathless at the top or on a bad day, half way up.

OK--just so you'll know, I'd give you a prednisone taper to get rid of the extreme inflammation. That might actually get a handle on things. And I do think you need a second allergist since there really should be no problem with starting allergy shots even if your asthma isn't well controlled.