Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

Doctor, I called yesterday to ask for the MRIS the nurse said

Customer Question

Doctor, I called yesterday to ask for the MRI'S the nurse said I will need to come in and discuss it with the doctor so I have an appt Tuesday to see her.
I just saw her two weeks ago I can't believe I have to go in again but I will.
The question I have for you is if I am going to ask for a MRI for my knee and back or is it the lower spine? Anyways would I be out of line to ask for a MRI of my neck one has never been done before?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Well it is standard process to actually discuss the reason for an MRI before a doctor orders it. You need MRI's of your cervical, thoracic and lumbar spines to cover all the symptoms you've been having
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does that cover my knee?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No, that needs to be separate
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Doctor what is thoracic ?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
The spine is divided into three parts--the neck (cervical), the mid back (thoracic) and the lower back (lumbar)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Appreciate the explanation. So do I explain that I have had problems since I past out? Although the back issues have been ongoing for several years and have gotten worse much worse. And the knee issue is new of about 3 months. Do you think there will be a problem with getting the MRi'S? Should I just ask for them or tell her another physician suggested I get these done?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Tell her I suggested the MRI's. No need to bring up the passing out thing. Just tell her about all the pain you have
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Doctor if there is a neck MRI would it by chance also show the thyroid?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
It would but a cervical MRI wouldn't be specific for the thyroid. Why would you want your thyroid looked at?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was just wondering because first of all I only one to take one test I am tired of all of these test and then I feel like we are doing them again because we didn't test for everything in the beginning. I only asked because I take thyroid medication although my levels were ok during the last lab work.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
The only reason for an MRI of the thyroid would be if the gland were actually enlarged or you could feel a nodule in it. Just being hypothyroid alone wouldn't warrant an MRI
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay that is good to know doctor? Although I sure would love to know what is wrong with the front of my neck. It has never been the same since I past out in 2010. It throbs its numb sometimes. It's on my left side of the front of my neck grand goes all the way up , I always thought it was my thyroid but I guess I was wrong I don't know what is wrong there.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
It could be a disk problem in the back of your neck but not your thyroid
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it was a disk issue would I also have problems in the left side of my neck in the front?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes--you see a disk can press on a nerve root and cause symptoms in the side of front of the neck and in the arm and hand too
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh my okay. Thank you hopefully we can get these test done and find out what is going on. Doctor does the MRI also put out radiation to the body lie, any other X-ray or cat scan?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No, the MRI uses powerful magnets but there's no radiation at all so there's no risk no matter how many MRI's someone has.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So doctor are the MRI'S better then cat scans? I never knew this from now I'd they want to do a cat scan may e I will ask for a MRI
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Cat scans are better for looking at the abdomen and pelvis and the chest but MRI's are better for the brain, spine, and limbs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh on thanks for all of the explanations.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
My pleasure again, dear--any time
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Let me know how it goes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Doctor,
So I did exactly as you instructed me to do with my new doctor.
I told her I have been having pain for a very long time in my neck and back and I would like an MRI I also told her about my knee. My knee hurts so bad now I can hardly walk. It throbs now when I am laying down.
Anyways she said to me I can not order a MRI even though you have a PPO we have to order an X-ray first and a month of therapy then we can request an MRI. Ad hen she said stop talking to those online doctors. I said why but this one doctor has helped me so much, she said and how is that I told her I had eaten some hard boiled eggs and it felt list it was stuck in my chest and I threw it up and still had the hard feeling in my chest and my kcal doctor didn't help me but the online doctor did. She said you were very lucky that you weren't having a heart attack. She said stop talking to those online doctors these are doctors who can't get a job anywhere else.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Sonja, I assure you I do have a regular job. Some insurance programs do require the x-rays first
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Doctor,
I am only telling you what she said and what type of doctors I am dealing with where I live its like they don't want any competition or something. I trust you just like I told her you have helped me to many times and more then any local I have seen in the past.
It maybe be true about the Anthem Blue Cross PPO I don't know. I do have an appt to get an X-ray on my knee and all parts of my back.
My knee is so bad that I can hardly walk on it now.
I am taking Celebrex and flexeril and rubbing arnicare and something like deep heating in it.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
If the x-ray doesn't immediately show the reason for your pain, she can then order the MRI
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hope so because can barely walk now.
When I am laying down and it is propped up it doesn't hurt sometimes it throbs but not right now. When I bare weight on it and try to walk it hurts and it feels like my knee keeps trying to turn inward.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
You definitely need the MRI then and she can order it as an urgent procedure
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Doctor,

This is nothing but an ordeal trying to get a doctor to even help here.

Here's what has happened. I had xrays on the 3 parts of the back us you said were needed and the knee. So knee came back good and I asked for a MRI and they said your insurance wont cover it right now I said I am sorry I have hard time believing that I have a PPO they said we have had problems before. I said okay I will call my insurance company. Now Doctor Chip I am running out of time here because the nurse and the doctor are leaving town on Monday after noon until next Friday. So I called Anthem Blue Cross they said you don't need an authorization you only need a authorization if it is a head MRI. So I called back and had to leave a message with the receptionists and guess what no call back at all and they told her to tell me to go to physical therapy for it and there was an order for it. I said WHAT?? i am suppose to have physical therapy on something that we don't even have a real diagnosis on what is wrong with the knee? I said no I wont make it worse I guess I will have to wait now until next Friday when the doctor comes back in. Dr Chip give ma a couple of minutes to type in the xray reports for u

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
You were absolutely right about not getting therapy until the studies were done
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok here we go with the results:

Left knee --- all normal findings

Lumbosacacral spine 5v/oblique

all normal findings

other findings: there is no spondylolsis or significant facet arthropathy

Impression: negative exam

Exam: thoracic spine ap/lat/swim.

normal

pedicles and spinous processes: intact

alignment: normal for age

visualized lungs: unremarkable

other findings: minimal dextroscoliosis. minimal diffuse anterior osteophytic lipping.

Impression: Mild detroscolliosis

minimal anterior osteophytic lipping, lipping to upper T-spine.

Exam: Cervical, Spine xray 5v

Base of skull: unremarkable

preverterbral soft tissues: unremarkable

Intervertebral discs: Mild narrowing at C5-6, associated with mild anterior and posterior spurring.

Vertebral bodies: normal for age

alignment: normal for age

Foramina: the neural foramina are not significantly compromised.

Lung apices: unremarkable. as visualized.

Other findings: None significant

Impression:

Mild disk space narrowing and spurring at C5-6 I.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--nothing there too significant but as I said before x-rays don't show soft tissue like disks, spinal cord, and nerve roots
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I understand what you are saying and believe me when I say I trust you over anyone I have seen in a very long while. Doctor may I ask what has happened to some of the doctors today? I feel as if the oath they have taken really doesn't mean anything to them. I don't understand why this has to be a fight to get good treatment and to get my health back I am 56 years old i am not 90 I only want help in knowing what is wrong with me and how can I fix it.

I am so frustrated with the doctors here in my area, I just don;t know what to do or think anymore about them.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I understand and I don't know why they're dragging their heels about this
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Dr Chip as always. I guess I will have to go another one now waiting to see her again and see what she will do. I don't understand why I have to keep going in her office instead of her just ordering it for me.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I understand your frustration, Sonja. Let's close this page and let me know how it goes
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Doctor,

So I have been going back and forth with the nurse at the doctors office regarding a MRI on my knee and so I called blue cross aagin today and they gave me a reference number and said give this to your doctor your company has no restrictions on MRI'S you do not need a authorization for an MRI. So today I went to see the doctor and she asked about my lumbar and neck and I said its the same the knee feels a little better when I take celebrex and use ice on it. She said well I must inform you now you have 30 days to find another doctor I can not treat you anymore. She said here are two referrals and doctor she gave me the last doctor who said he wouldn't see me anymore.. She said you don't listen to me you seek help online from others doctors I told you to go to physical therapy for your knee and you didn't I said doctor I was using a cane all last week because when i had the normal xray done they twisted my knee and made it worse and I am not sure why you would want to have therapy when we don't know what damage has been done to my knee already. She said you have 30 days to find another doctor. I said okay.

I can't believe this doctor I thought I found someone who might help me but I was wrong. This just made me cry today over this. I think she called and talked to that other doctor and he told her I was talking to someone online. Why do they feel intimidated ? I feel lost here. Doctor you are online now did you not read this message??? I called the massage therapist that works on the same floor as this doctor and made an appt to see her tomorrow and she informed me that this doctor dismissed 4 patients last week and I was the 5th one.