Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

Im having really bad knee pain and all of the over the counter

I'm having really bad knee pain and all of the over the counter and prescription NSAIDs are not working
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 11 months ago.
Hi--is this just one knee and how long have you had the problem? Any trauma involved and did you get x-rays or an MRI?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Actually it's both...I got x-rays but no MRI. I just noticed a typo created by my kindle autocorrect- I was prescribed Mobic. They said bursitis but it's still so painful, even with the Mobic.

I assumed that was Mobic. Any swelling and have you every had problems with joints before? Only the knees are involved?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I've not had any significant joint problems before. I was an aerobic instructor fir several years, and would occasionally have problems from overuse. A couple of years ago. I had problems with my hip and leg getting sore, especially when driving, then it went away. It has cone back intermittently. Could these be related?

Where exactly is the pain located and, again, any swelling?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Front and side of the knee (both sides of knee). Currently no swelling.

Sorry for all the questions but this just suddenly occurred and hit both knees at the same time?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

That's ok...no, it started with the right knee, then the left knee started. Right knee is usually worse. The problems gradually got worse over time.

OK. It would be very unusual to have bursitis in both knees at about the same time. You need MRI's of both knees but you also need blood work to look for an autoimmune problem like rheumatoid arthritis. I'd consider gout but with swelling and redness that's not likely. I'd get an antinuclear antibody screen, rheumatoid factor, sed rate, C reactive protein, and a uric acid level to cover all the bases here.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice